trivial matters

Neteyam

His eyes lingered on the group, watching how Nimri and In'aiu talked their heads off after the ceremony; Wapayi and Si'ipi having to calm them down. He'd watched how Kireyi and her siblings indulged in the conversation, their bodies still covered in paint. And his heartbeat sped, she'd really done it, made peace within the two clans all for him. She'd been honored with the title of an Omatikaya and Metkayina now, all for him.

Neteyam hadn't been able to get himself to really speak other than a few words, his body so alert from nerves. He couldn't believe they'd be mates soon, and the fact honestly terrified him. What if he wasn't good enough to care for Kireyi forever? What if she regrets choosing him, and Omatikaya with almost no social standing compared to the many Metkayina in her clan. Sure- he was Toruk Makto's son, but it wasn't him that was respected for that fact. It was and would always be his father. The worries continued to fill him, minuscule problems, yet to him it was more than that.

He knew he wouldn't regret becoming her mate.... Neteyam was more worried about Kireyi. So nervous that even on such a big day, a day he should be screaming and shouting in pride for the girl, smiling and laughing with the other's, he could only shy away and overthink. That ate him up too.... he desperately wanted to cheer for Kireyi, show her how proud he had been of her, yet here he was. Mouth shut tight.

The boy knew Kireyi had noticed- that he'd been quieter than normal. She made it known, silently asking him if he was alright from time to time, and he tried his best to reassure her, but it felt like he'd been jumping off his Ikran mid air.

Mindlessly he watched, he watched as his friends and family spoke, he watched as Kireyi and her siblings received words of encouragement, he watched as Kireyi snuck glances to see if he was alright, he watched as his heart thumped out of his chest.

Kireyi came close to him again, softly grasping his arm, the boy fighting every urge in his body to run, "Are you alright Teyam?"

Her voice was low, making sure no one else listened, "Yeah...."

Their eyes met, Neteyam freezing. And this time he gave in- walking off bringing Kireyi along with him. His head was spinning, the second the two were alone he gently leaned her against the tree resting his forehead on her shoulder, "What is wrong?"

He took in a deep breath, nuzzling his head closer. Perhaps it would hide him from the girl.... no- he knew it wouldn't. He'd already brought her here, already began to hold her close for comfort. Another deep breath, letting the warm air hit her skin, "I...." Words couldn't seem to find themselves, the boy not understanding how to start with the pent up emotions. Instead he blurted the first thing to come to mind, "I am nervous."

Fingers brushed through his hair, so reassuring he couldn't help but pull her closer, "Nervous about what?" Her touch.... it had been so reassuring, "Speak to me Ma Teyam."

"Everything.... no- us," He tensed at how he stuttered, the action not normal for him.

"What do you mean?"

"We will be mating- and it's just.... what if you regret choosing me?" The words poured out the second his thoughts began running.

"Neteyam-"

And they continued to leak out, as if he couldn't bring himself to stop, "I mean look at me.... I hold no status with the Metkayina unlike the others in your tribe- What if you regret choosing me instead of someone who knows your land as well as you- who you may never grow tired of unlike me. I do not know of the amazing areas of your home or the way of water exactly as you do. I have nothing to give-"

Kireyi pulled him away from her shoulder, forcing the boy to look at her as her hands cupped his cheeks, "Neteyam."

He stopped talking, eyes focused on her in a mix of desperation and guilt. His nerves still taking over his body.