woven

Kireyi

Kiri had been feeling better but felt embarrassed from what had happened. Unlike her other siblings she wanted to stay in her families pod away from everyone, Kireyi knew she needed a friend though.

"Hello Kiri," The girl made her way into the pod to sit next to Kiri. Looking over Kiri sighed before saying hello, "Are you feeling alright? I noticed you didn't come to see us this morning."

"Yes I'm alright sorry..."

"What are you apologizing for?" Kireyi scooted closer to comfort the girl.

"I ruined yesterday, it's because I'm- different or something." Her ears pointed down showing her guilt.

Kireyi thought for a second, "Is it because of Eywa?" The statement made Kiri's head pop up, "I noticed your connection, it may be different but it is beautiful."

Kiri's brows scrunched at the sentence, "Look if you're trying to make me feel better thank you but-"

"No that's not it, I truly mean it. I've been watching you and you connect to everything so beautifully. The plants, animals, your peers. You really share something special.... now I don't know why that happened at the tree yesterday, but I can assure you no one is upset with you. We are all glad you're okay and would love if you came out to see us." Kireyi watched the girls body calm, she was tense before they had spoken and the older girl was happy enough to soothe her. Kireyi rummaged through her bag, grabbing something green she passed it to Kiri. Kiri hesitated but nonetheless took what Kireyi was offering, it was warm and smelt almost nutty, "What is this?" Kiri asked.

"Is is steamed rice, we harvest it not far to the north. I made it with some herbs that will help replenish your body," Kireyi took another for herself, "If you unwrap the leaf like this, the rice is inside."

Kiri's eyes were stuck on the older girl's hands, copying her actions. It seemed similar enough to the steamed fish they ate together. When the leaf was fully unwrapped steamed radiated off of the rice, it was white and fluffy looking. It hadn't been something Kiri ate back home. Kireyi watched the girl eat some, her face instantly lighting up, "It's good!"

"I'm glad you like it! We were going to weave baskets today if you would like to join us...." Kireyi tried approaching the subject cautiously, not wanting to add pressure onto the girl.

Kiri visibly thought about it for a second,  "That sounds nice, thank you Kireyi." 

"Of course, why don't we head out?" Kireyi got up once more holding her hand out for the girl, as they approached the beach, Kiri was taken aback by everyone's excitement to see her.

"Hi Kiri!" Everyone huddled around the girl as she sat down, Rotxo and Tuk took both places beside her, racing to teach her how to weave. 

With Kireyi on the other side of Tuk, she could tell the young girl was having a little bit of trouble, "Would you like to make something else?"

The younger girl looked up to her, "Like what?"

Setting her basket down she took new thread, "I can show you how to make a necklace."

Tuk's tail moved in excitement, "Can I make one for mom?"

Kireyi stood up taking the girl's hands, "Of course! We should go collect some shells for her then," She brought the girl into the shallow water. With every push back into the sea, it left small shells the two could pick up on the sand. The little girl grabbed an abundance of yellow shells, some had a soft sparkle, other's a vibrant or soft yellow.

"Will she like these.... I chose lots of yellow, Teyam told me it meant I love you," Her own yellow eyes reflected the sky's light, shimmering just like some of the shells she held.