spider n.

Neteyam

The boy walked along the beach in search of his younger sister, spotting her far ahead with Kireyi he slowly treaded, trying not to catch their attention. He creeped closer, yet they still hadn't noticed him, "Oh? Did she now.... Have you gotten..."

Neteyam could softly hear Kireyi's voice, and with a few more steps he was behind the two, "No!" His younger sister yelled.

"What is it Tuk got?" His eyes moved between Kireyi and Tuk, the youngest girl embarrassed. 

"Nothing, her friend received a gift from a boy, that is all," He watched the two exchange a glance, sitting down Tuk sat between his legs, back against his chest. Her tail continuously brushed the boy's hip as she braided her bracelet in delight.

Really? What did she get?"

"She got white shells!" The boys eyes looked to Kireyi's hair, then leaned down to look at Tuk overhead.

"And what does that mean?" He hadn't expected much from the answer, that was until Tuk shouted it out. 

"It means he likes her Teyam! White shells represent love," Tuk giggled at the final word, still giddy about her new friends gift.

Neteyam could feel himself freeze for a second, looking back to Kireyi and her hair. With the expression on her face it had been obvious she knew too, "Really now.... that's interesting."

"Yeah.... it's great for her friend." Kireyi cleared her throat and the boy's eyes stayed attached to her.

"Very," Neteyam's eyes trailed to the few white shells in her hair, then his thoughts trailed to when he gave her not just a few, but a whole handful of white shells. He couldn't believe that's what their meaning was, or that Kireyi kept it from him for this long.

"So.... has Kiri spoken to you about Spider?" Neteyam lifted an eyebrow, not understanding, "She went to speak with him a while ago."

"Oh, I didn't know. Has she not come back?"

"No...." Their eyes met and Kireyi's said it all, showing the boy her unease. He understood, getting up.

"I'll go check on them then, see if I can find them yeah?" He quietly reassured her, trying to not worry Tuk in the process.

"I wanna go with!" Tuk exclaimed, jumping to her brother.

"Come Tuk, I'll carry you."

Neteyam was grateful for Kireyi's help, as now he would only need to worry about Kiri, his ear perked at the sound of his sister's voice, "You- I have always stuck up for you and you did this?!" The girl stepped out of the forest, the human boy chasing after her.

"Please Kiri, I know I messed up but please-"

"You are not one of us! I trusted you so much- tried to make you apart of our family and feel welcome yet you-"

"Kiri just please!" Spider took hold of Kiri's hand and she yanked it off in an instant.

"You have proven who your family is...."

Neteyam and Kireyi were close enough to hear everything, even close enough to be in their line of view. The oldest boy walked up, holding himself strong in front of his sister, though he didn't know what the problem was, with how distraught Kiri had been it couldn't have been something small, "What'd you do?"

"I shouldn't have-"

"Tell them what you did!" Kiri was crying, screaming at the boy. Neteyam stepped closer to his sister, somewhat covering her view of Spider.