stillness

Neteyam

The next day was slow, everyone practically ignoring spider other than to feed him. Neteyam's father spoke to the boy here and there, but overall it really was up to Spider to fix his mistakes. Neteyam treaded out from his Pod in search of Kireyi, she already waited almost a full day and he didn't want to keep her waiting. Understanding she told him to come when he was ready, he wanted to see her badly. Though the kids all had training this morning, the moment they got back Neteyam and Kireyi had been split apart. Even during training the most they got was a hi here and there. Slowly walking, he was surprised he didn't hear the girl approach from behind, a small tap taking him off guard.

"Hi Ma Teyam...." Her voice was cautious, not knowing how the boy was feeling yet. He noticed, looking back to see her eyes already glued to him.

"Hey, I was just looking for you."

He watched her eyes squint in curiosity, "You were?"

Softly grabbing her hand he treaded forward, "Of course I was, come on." He led her out towards the cave it had became their own secret little hideout.

Kireyi giggled as he messed with her tail, chasing each other through the forest. Her laugh calmed the boy, and he enjoyed getting to loosen up after the last day, they continued deeper into the leaves, finally reaching the cave. The day was fading into darkness as the families already finished dinner after their lessons. Dark blues replaced the oranges in the sky, and plants began to glow in the light.

The boy brushed the entryway's vines out of the way for Kireyi, letting her walk through. She still looked at him, circling to keep her eyes stuck to him instead of looking away. He didn't mind, eyes lost in her own. She now stood between his lifted arm and chest, Neteyam felt his skin shiver as Kireyi placed a hand on his chest, "Are you alright?"

His own hand brushed against hers, "Yeah, the others are having more trouble though...."

"Do you worry? What even happened?" Neteyam watched her face transition from calmness to worry. He squeezed her hand leading her to sit, she gladly followed, and the two sat backs flush against the caves wall.

"Do you remember me telling you about Quaritch?" With a small nod he continued, "Spider saved him, so he's still alive somewhere." Feeling the girl tense at the words, Neteyam turned brushing some of her hair back, "It is alright."

"So what about Spider?"

"He stays until we leave for the forest...."

Kireyi popped up from against the wall, looking to Neteyam in shock, "But why? Are you okay with that?"

"My father said so," Neteyam looked away, leaving her second question unanswered.

"Teyam.... are you okay?"

His ears lowered at the question, though he hadn't minded, it still somewhat bothered him. Especially having to see his family deal with the situation, "Well yeah...."

His skin tingled as she took his hand, "Neteyam..."

"What?" He had been facing away from her still, "It is nothing."

"It is not, you are bothered," It had seemed forever until he looked back to her, and she hadn't minded, "Tell me more, I didn't come find you for nothing."

Their eyes were glued to one another, and Neteyam knew she was right. Yet just sitting here with her brought a comfort he couldn't describe, he'd never be able to wrap his mind around how much she was like the water. Her comfort surrounding and slowing his breath, his heartbeat. Just as the water did. With a soft sigh he couldn't keep it in anymore, "I understand where my father and Spider are coming from, but it hurts.... We'd always tried our best to be there for him and when we needed him most he chose someone else."