limitations

Kireyi

The girl had gone off alone, mind wandering just as her body did, but her mind kept coming back to was the Tsahik told her. To find how she was doing, how she felt. She found her way to the river stream, sinking into it, wishing it was the sea. The water was deep enough to fully submerge herself under, her eyes moving- following the small fish that swam around her. It wasn't the same though, none of it felt similar to her home, and she missed it. Kireyi allowed her thoughts to leave her mind, only feeling the water all around her, swaying her body back and forth as she stayed under. There was no attempt to break the surface, no attempt to figure herself out.

Oh. That's what it was.

Kireyi knew she had ambition, always willing to learn about others, yet the moment it was about her she hadn't cared much. Her emotions stayed on the surface, she was happy or sad, excited or bored, peaceful or spiraling out of control. Her thoughts lingered on the thought for a second, looking back to everything that had happened to her, and even then her emotions were very one sided, never digging deeper, because what she gave off was her true self. Nothing to hide, nothing to search for since she was so transparent already.

She'd been on her back now, eyes watching the water above them, moving in small ripples with the light. Everything felt so calm, and Kireyi felt as if the water hadn't been moving her, but moving with her, almost an extension of her body, her breath, her heartbeat. And she was content. Despite everything that had happened she was content, the word ringing in her head. Under the water her eyes closed, darkness encasing her as she laid in the liquid, smooth rocks against her back.

It was warm now, the cold chill from the water gone, her body relaxing. She laid there a few minutes more, just until she could feel herself need air again, then she sat herself up and opened her eyes. Air came into her lungs calmly, no rush to take in the breath as her chest rose and fell slowly. It was a while longer before she stood, deciding it was time to head to Tsahik. She knew her answer now, even if it was so minuscule- simple.

She was quick to get back to the Tsahik, and the moment she entered the hut Tsahik turned to look at her, and it was a knowing look, she'd definitely noticed the difference.

"You have figured it out, haven't you young one?" The woman's eyes held wisdom, just like Kireyi's mother's eyes.

"Yes, I have...." In all actuality, Kireyi expected more, for Tsahik to urge her to tell her, something- anything about her final "test."

"Good, now come help me," Tsahik turned away from the girl, preparing her regular ointments for the day, a similar routine Kireyi learned from the woman.

She stood perplexed, had she really not wanted to know? "But- don't I need to answer you.... didn't you want to know?"

The woman chuckled, "Young one, this test was for you, and I've seen that you've figured it out. You have figured yourself out, so there is no need to speak it to me."

Kireyi watched as Tsahik continued collecting what she needed as she spoke, and the girl stood- just watching for a few seconds. The statement repeated in her head, and finally she stood tall, proceeding to help, "Alright."

"How has it been here? With my people," Kireyi stood behind the woman, handing her a few herbs and flowers. The Tsahik's back was turned to her as she crushed them into a fine powder, a sweet smell rising.

"I have learned a lot, I've enjoyed it," She softly smiled looking back on everything she's learned up until this point.

Her eyes followed Tsahik's hand, the woman placing the smallest amount of the ointment onto a thin stick, "Smell. What does it need?"

The scent was sweet, but Kireyi knew there should be an earthier smell. She walked towards the basket of jars collecting a few pieces of soft bark, placing them into the bowl she crushed them into the ointment, smelling it once more, "Hm, that's better."

Holding the bowl up to Tsahik, she gave a nod of approval, "Good, you have learned well," This continued for a while, the two making teas and ointments, a comfortable silence taking over. Kireyi had quickly gotten the hang of the different plants and variations of their uses, not falling behind as the woman taught her, "You will be one of us now too. A Metkayina and Omatikaya."

"Yes...." Her eyes shot up to look at Tsahik, who was already looking at her.

"Never in my years of living did I think I'd come to see that happen," She chuckled, and Kireyi eased seeing how content the woman was, "You treat him well young one. My family too."

Their eyes stuck on one another for a few seconds, and Kireyi gave a delicate nod, "Yes of course."

Pulled into a hug, Tsahik whispered, "You will accomplish much, I can tell."

"You are acting as if we are parting now.... I am still here for another month," Kireyi couldn't see the innocence of her eyes which bore into Tsahik, the curiosity exuding from her.

"Some words are meant to be shared earlier than later," Kireyi's skin tickled with goosebumps the moment her hair was brushed out of her face, "Go find the other's, they will be going on a hunting festival for the new season."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, they will be leaving soon! Go and catch up young one," Tsahik practically pushed the girl out of the hut to go look for the rest of the family.

Kireyi turned to the entrance once more, staring a few seconds before proceeding forward. She'd made her way down the giant home tree, and her fear of heights had trailed away too, more excitement filling her now. Spotting the group of Omatikaya, she presumed the Sully's would be there, and seeing her siblings made her know she was correct. Her eyes trailed the area, looking for any sign of Neteyam, what she hadn't known was the boy was behind her, "You looking for someone?"

Whipping her head around she met his gaze, "Hm, I found him."

"Did you now?" He smiled, gently taking her hand, "Are you going to join us?"

"Yes.... to both questions, Tsahik let me come join you," Her attention shifted to everyone around them, the Omatikaya preparing themselves for the hunt, "What exactly is happening...."

"We will hunt the Sturmbeests, and a celebration will occur after. I am surprised you haven't been informed by my grandmother about today.... it is partially my fault too though."

"It is alright, I disappeared this morning," Kireyi silently thanked herself for carrying her bow with her. It'd taken so long to make, but oh was it all worth it. It was her bow, made perfectly for the girl.

"Just follow me and you'll be fine," He leaned down, close enough to whisper, "I promise."

The girl couldn't help but giggle, "I trust you."