ceremony

(play "days" by pair of normals)

Kireyi

Kireyi and her mother seemed to vanish for the next three days, the two camped out near the spirit tree, collecting offerings, flowers, and more. The young girl was taught much about ceremonial celebrations, also using her past lessons for the preparation. The water around them was calm, and light shined around the cove, it was like Eywa knew what would come to happen soon, for now the two swam to the tree.

"This is where you will give our sisters, the hunters will help as it is not an easy task." Kireyi's face turned grim- her breath shaky, her mother could see the emotional change, coming closer to her daughter, "What is wrong my girl?"

"I miss her, this doesn't feel real mother," Her eyes were stuck on the water rippling above the tree.

With a touch to the shoulder she eased, "Ma Kireyi, you must remember she is still here. Energy is given and recycled, never lost or gained, our great mother will keep her memories safe, her soul."

"I know...."

"Once you lay her to Eywa, you may connect your queue to the tree, I am sure Eleu will call to you," Ronal was now in front of her daughter, looking to see her expression.

"Do you really think so?"

"Of course, now come, we must finish the final preparations, the village will be here soon," Ronal dressed her daughter in muted greens and blues. The Metkayina believed blending themselves and their clothes into the water brought a sense of connection, letting the spirits and energy flow not just around, but through the Na'vi. Kireyi also placed her hair into a similar style to her mothers, pinning half of it back with the shell Kiri and Rotxo gave her. Her mother talked her through what would happen, the girl had an understanding from attending the ceremonies, but now that the tradition was for her and ran by her, it seemed overwhelming. She tried to look back on what Neteyam had said, to trust the water just as she taught him. The warning horn blew, it came from the west, the clan would be here soon. Every ceremony would start with the warning call, this often meaning they were about a half an hour away, as they should always arrive just before eclipse.

The sky painted itself in dark oranges and blues as time grew closer, and the stars started to peek down at the cove in interest of the event. Ronal set Kireyi out into the water, and it was now time for the young girl to host her very first ceremony. She gingerly swam through the water, scattering the flowers from the entrance of the cove, all the way out near the tree. Doing this was for new beginnings, that though the Na'vi would enter with a lost soul, the flowers would push forward with their entry, creating a new start as the flower petals would come over the tree. Floating and rippling above the great energy with it's softness. Colors ranged from light whites, all the way to deep dark blues and it covered the waters in it's greatness. It had taken Kireyi and her mother almost two days time to collect and prepare the flowers, and placing them into the water was rewarding as the girl watched the petals intermingle. She approached the resting area close to the spirit tree, and took a deep breath. There would be no speech, only song and prayer to Eywa. Her mother joined Kireyi, with the final preparation of the flowers, she could see the clan's light shine in the sky.

"It is time Kireyi," Her mother whispered.

The girl didn't respond, she could feel her own heart beat out of her chest as the light kept growing. She had always been apart of that light, never the one waiting for it to engulf her. Her heart dropped at the sight of the first Tulkan, the hunter's strength combined with their Skimwings made it easy to bring the three. It hadn't been the first ceremony for Tulkan, but it was nerve-racking either way. Kireyi's breath hitched at the sight, she hadn't seen the Tulkan in so long, and it ruined what she thought her "clear" image of the atrocity had been. Now that they approached it just became all the more real, and it scared her. First came her mother's Tulkan, then her youngest calf, and then Eleu. Her eyes couldn't focus on her clan, only stuck on her spirit sister, silent tears ran down the young girl's face.

"You can do this my girl, mawey," Her mother's tail brushed against her back in the water, and she still couldn't respond.

She silently approached her sister, placing a hand onto her cold skin. The feeling of warmth filling the water around her hit Kireyi hard, and in that moment she knew Eleu was here. Though her heart continued on fast, it was now engulfed in her sister's love, unlike the empty feeling she had earlier. Kireyi swam forward with Eleu, Ronal up ahead with her sister and her calf. It was part of the tradition to enter with your lost ones, to lead them into their new beginnings. The Metkayina circled around, all eyes on the Tsahik and her daughter, on the bodies they were about to give to Eywa. Kireyi looked around, her hand still on Eleu as her own eyes searched for the Omatikayan boy. She found him quickly, and just as she had been, he silently cried at the loss. Their gazes met and he nodded, encouraging the girl.

As she looked away, to her father, her people, and to Eleu. She spoke, "We gather to lay our family with Eywa, to guide them to a new beginning, and not say goodbye, but welcome them," Her head now rested against her sister's skin, whispering their prayer, "I see you, sister, and I thank you. Your spirit will run with Eywa, while your body will remain and become part of the People."

She followed the action for the other two Tulkan, and now the hunter's assisted in lowering their corpses. Kireyi could still feel Eleu's presence in the water as she followed under, and as the sea hugged the girl, it stopped the tears which had been falling from her face. Instead she covered her mouth, seeing her spirit sister's body cover from the sea anemone connected to the spirit tree. She couldn't seem to bring herself back up to the surface for a few minutes more, simply watching where her sister had once been. Soon she came up for air, and the tears found their way back to her cheeks. The Metkayina had softly been singing, and Kireyi's mother was next to the girl. She knew what it had meant, quietly diving back into the water, and to the spirit tree. Her eyes locked on a specific branch, feeling a soft calling, and as she connected her queue she understood why.

Her surroundings turned to the open sea, and she could hear her sister's songs ripple the water around her. It had been their very first song together, it was their favorite. Kireyi stayed down with the tree longer than when she laid Eleu with Eywa, and no words were exchanged between her and her sister. The Tulkan only singing and warming the girl.

Then it stopped.

Kireyi's queue came undone, silence filling the area around her. For a second, she desperately wanted to attach her queue again, to reach out and feel- hear her sister again. But she knew that would not happen. She knew that Eleu was telling her to go, to join her family and finish the ceremony, she knew she'd be able to come back and hear her sister's voice, but it hurt nonetheless. Composing herself a second more, she finally approached the surface, and the clan had been quiet now. She held herself with a false stability and poise, now swimming forward. Traditionally when the families finished speaking to their loved ones through the tree, Tsahik would always lead everyone back to the village in silence, now it was her turn. Her and her mother had concluded their visit with the tree, and she needed to lead the clan back home. It pained her to have to leave, she grew an even closer connection to the cove from being in charge of this ceremony, but as she called for an Ilu her voice faltered before she could stop it- uncovering her false mask. Getting on, Kireyi motioned her Ilu forward, and the people followed behind all the way to the village.

There a bonfire and feast were prepared, the clan would perform, sing, celebrate these new beginnings together. Remind one another that although sad, there was more to look forward upon. Kireyi stepped onto the sand, moving one step at a time. In and out.... push and pull, her breath, the water, her emotions all reflected the water. And as the people approached the final time of celebration, she could only cry again as the feelings overwhelmed her.