third test

Birds chirped and the Metkayina gathered back to the training beach for their final test. Many of the group's teens couldn't attend, as it was only for those who were sixteen or older. This meant only Rotxo, Kireyi, Aonung, and Neteyam were in the group. Unaware of what was to happen other than the Chief and the trainees parents.

Tonowari pulled Neteyam aside, whispering to the boy, "Your father has told me you've completed dream hunt before?"

The boy's eyes widened, the question unexpected, "Yeah, is that what we are doing?"

"Not you, you may sit back during this and I will give you your claim as a warrior."

"You're sure?" Neteyam asked, he could understand why he didn't need to go through it again but still, it seemed like he was let off easy.

"Yes, don't worry. Come as I explain to the others." The Chief led the boy back to the group and he stood next to Kireyi.

"What happened?" She whispered.

He leaned in, "You'll see...."

The Metkayina's dream hunt was similar to the Omatikaya, but their venom was a certain fish's poison, and their ceremony took place in a cave. The Chief was quick to explain the final test, and tension had filled the air. He led the group to the cave, it held a small opening in the top, and water surrounded the bottom. Little light was in the rocky setting, only dimly shining on the water's surface. Warriors prepared small torches for light, and Tsahik also arrived, the venom ready.

"Those who are not up will wait along the edge, you make no noise, and no movement as the ceremony commences," Ronal's voice held authority, and no one intervened.

Kireyi

Silence suffocated the trainees, their lives on the line now. They all sat along the edge of the cave, backs against the cool rock. Kireyi's skin prickled with goosebumps and her whole body was tense, on alert. Her mother passed along small waxy sticks, the ends burning a shimmering flame, "We will proceed in the order that the flames blow out."

They waited, and waited. Kireyi was between Neteyam and her brother, and she watched how the Omatikaya didn't receive a flame, exempt for whatever reason. The first flame out was Aonung's then another trainee, following with Kireyi and Rotxo. A few more after them. Her nerves rose, yet every fibre in her filled with determination. She'd been close to death once before, this time was only a mental challenge in a sense.

Everyone watched as Aonung stepped to the center of the caves pool, and Kireyi couldn't take her eyes off her brother. No one could show any sense of worry, not even her own parents who may witness their sons death in the next few minutes. Her breathing became shaky at the thought- that she could lose him in a blink of an eye.

The girl calmed a little as Neteyam snuck his hand under hers, but as her brother drank his share of the venom she squeezed his hand hard. It would be something she would need to apologize for later. Some may claim watching the scene was tortuous, even Kireyi thought it would be that way. But her emotions overruled, and she felt pride and expectation instead, she knew her brother could do it. All he needed to do was fight. Aonung began to groan, a hand on his head from the pain. He no longer stood on his two feet, barely holding himself up in the shallow water as pain overtook him. The boy slightly screamed at one point, the visions and pain taking over, and Kireyi continued to silently cheer him on. To tell him to fight though she couldn't say it out loud. Her mother had been chanting a prayer to Eywa repeatedly, the sound of her speaking and Aonung's shouts echoed off the walls.

And then they silenced.

No one could see if he was breathing or not, and Kireyi expected to see her parents go to check, but they didn't. The two left him to either wake or not by himself, just because he was their son didn't mean they could intervene. The quiet air felt like hours before his chest heaved, and a groan escaped his mouth as his eyes opened. What had to of been a soft breath from earlier was now rough and loud, it was apparent he was trying to take in his current environment. Kireyi's hand finally lightened, letting out the air she held in.

Her mother approached Aonung, a soft hand to his shoulder, "Is it done?"

Aonung shook his head, still heavily breathing, "Yes."

Her mother let Kireyi's brother stand before raising his hand in her own, "He has passed!" Her voice still held an authority, and her words weren't in a celebratory tone. It was more of a claim- an announcement.

Kireyi's mother brought a new liquid to the boy's mouth, making him drink. It was to calm his nerves, get rid of any leftover pain. He sat next to Kireyi again and their eyes met, she nodded in approval at her brother. The test was quick but he looked exhausted as he laid his head back against the cave's wall. The next person proceeded, and now it was Kireyi's turn.

"Come," Her mother motioned for her to get up.

Her hand released from Neteyam's, and the water welcomed her as she stepped into it. The stillness was unnerving as she approached, eyes hard on the bowl her mother held. Kireyi took a deep breath before her mother brought the bowl up. Drinking, the venom was sweeter than expected, the taste didn't last long as her vision suddenly darkened.

Pain filled the girls body as she dropped to the ground, she had fallen on her hands and knees, head almost in the water. She harshly hissed, but it didn't ease the pain that ran through her. It was constricting, yet it was like it was tearing her body apart at the same time. Once her mother began to repeat the prayer, a light grew in her vision, and soon she could see images flashing. It was a mix of her and her family, her people. The forest and a blue Ikran.

The final image of Spider.

This ceremony was known to reveal omens, good and bad; which could help lead the Na'vi in a later direction. The problem was, it was never clear if they were one or the other, and Kireyi couldn't tell. There were many tales of it being like a long painful dream, so the girl was confused as to why her's were flashing images. Why her own dream hunt was such a short journey? She screamed out in pain as it shocked her body once more, and her vision had slowly come back. Her ears twitched as her mother stopped the chant, pure and dead silence back around everyone. Her breath was heavy and she realized just how close her head had been before plunging into the water below her.

Her mother stepped forward, grasping her arm just as she did for the other two, "Ready?"

Kireyi nodded unable to speak, barely even able to catch her breath as small waves of pain rushed over her. She simply followed her mother's actions weakly getting up and raising her arm as a sign of passage, "Kireyi, passed!"

The next liquid was brought to Kireyi's mouth and she drank, most of the pain was swept away, her mother nodding for her to go sit. Kireyi treaded back to her spot with a small thump, and rested her head against Aonung's shoulder. The two held a similar look, trying to understand their dream hunts.

Neteyam's hand slid back to Kireyi's, and he softly rubbed her fingers to comfort her. She silently looked to him still keeping her head on her brother and he nodded in reassurance. Telling her she did good. The girl closed her eyes, because even though she wanted to cheer on Rotxo, so many thoughts and small pains engulfed her.