omatikaya

Kireyi
(play "forever and always" by zeph)

His touch was gentle. The paint cold.

His fingers trailed over her body, painting white lines over her skin. The pattern connected in spirals and lines, what the boy said represented the flow of energy. Her eyes were glued his hands, watching as he pressed into her skin, the feeling supple. Her breath was soft, chest subtly rising and falling, almost in sync with the winds that blew around them. It had been dark around the two, only light from the fire next to them allowing them to see. But that dim glimmer from the flames was enough, it'd been enough to see the proud grin on the boys face for the girl's accomplishments. Enough to see the flush of purple along the girl's cheeks at the boys loving touch.

Fingers grazed her arms, a circular motion painting the white onto her shoulders before moving towards her collarbones, up to her neck. And her eyes no longer lingered on his hands, but he himself. The shine of his eyes, the concentration painting over his face, the way he had now met her gaze.

Her breath hitched at the eye-contact, yet she couldn't bring herself to break it. He'd been the one to look away first, it being apparent he studied her facial features before bringing his hand up. Painting the white cream onto her forehead, leading his fingers down to her temples, to her cheeks and nose. She could only stare, watching his sharp eyes move across her face just as his hands did, until they reached her lips. He dragged the tips of his fingers over her lips, down to the peak of her chin before stopping.

He then fixed her hair, brushing a few strands back, braiding any that needed to be touched up. She watched as he leaned down, picking up a white object from behind him. Catching a glimpse she saw what it had been, a white flower with small white shells hanging from it with thread. He tucked it neatly into her hair, making sure the shells could be seen too; and as he stepped away a single braid stayed entangled with his fingers. The braid slowly unraveling, dropping to her shoulder the second it released from his light grasp.

"Kireyi...." It'd been the first time he said her name all morning, it feeling as if her identity rushed back into her mind.

She took a deep breath, "Yes Neteyam?" His own name pouring out her mouth like sap. So easy. So natural.

"You are ready."

He led her out of the room, hands intertwined as they stepped out to meet the rest of their family. Kireyi moved to her sister, as Neteyam left, carefully taking the girl's cheeks into her hands in an attempt to not mess up her paint, "Are you ready Reya?"

Tsireya smiled, "Yeah, and you?"

"I'd hope so...." Kireyi brushed her hands through her sister's hair, almost motherly, "You look so pretty. You've done so good."

"You too Reyi, who knew we'd end up here right?"

"I still can't believe it," Aonung joined in, "You two look nice."

"What about me Aonung," Rotxo teased, earning a hit, "Ow!"

"Skxawng," The boy glared at his friend, Kireyi and Tsireya laughing.

The laughter died down, silence filling the room as the Metkayina waited for the Sully's to return again. Kireyi noticed how her sister nervously looked to each of them, like she was on the verge of saying something.

Her hand grasped the girl's, "What is it?"

Aonung's attention turned to the two in an instance too, waiting for the younger girl to speak, "I miss home. I miss mom and dad...."

Tears threatened to fall from Tsireya's eyes, her siblings rushing to calm her, "We will be home soon Reya."

Kireyi looked to Aonung, nodding in agreement to his statement, yet Tsireya was so close to crying, "Do you two miss them?"

Kireyi's hand gently brushed her sister's eyes, wiping the tears before they could fall, "We do. Profusely."

"And that is okay, just know we will see them soon alright?" Aonung reassured.

"And remember we will be welcomed with the warriors celebration! It will be lots of fun when we are home again," The older siblings couldn't help but smile at Rotxo's attempt to help cheer Tsireya. The girl softly laughing at the thought of a celebration.

"Thank you...." Tsireya whispered.

Kireyi felt bittersweet, she'd known her sister had missed her parents but not to this extent. She also knew how much Tsireya had enjoyed it here, it hurt to see somewhere be such an apparent mix of fun and longing. Something Kireyi guessed the Sullys had felt at sea.

Their attention turned to see the Sullys arrive again, Tuk quick to gather near Kireyi. The two hadn't spent a lot of time together, Tuk either exploring with her friends, or Kireyi busy with training. The young girl had to stop herself from grabbing Kireyi in effort to not smudge the white paint, "Hello little one."

Tuk giggled, "Hi Kireyi! Are you excited?" She took hold of the older one's hand, jumping up and down.

"Yes!" Kireyi ran her hand through Tuk's hair, "Did you get your hair redone?"

"You noticed," Tuk began to sheepishly grin, shyly turning to Rotxo and Aonung, "They helped Lo'ak choose my beads!"

"Really?" The older girl smiled, watching as Tuk jumped into Lo'ak's arms.

"Yes!"

"As amazing as this is, we came here to tell you all it's time," Kiri stepped forward, ruffling her younger sister's hair as she passed by.

(play "then interlude" by willow. you will need to replay)

Neteyam made way next to Kireyi, the girl unable to ignore his presence despite how quiet he had been. If anything, he'd been suspiciously silent, only speaking a few sentences here and there. It almost felt like when they first arrived to the sea, the boy rarely speaking unless spoken to. Her eyes met his, hoping her question was able to be seen despite her saying nothing. Silently asking if he was okay.

She'd eased the second his hand entangled through her's, the boy softly nodding. Squeezing his hand again she followed him and the others out, the Metkayina being led to not only Tsahik, but the whole clan of Omatikaya.

Kireyi could feel herself growing nervous, her tail accidentally hitting Neteyam's arm the closer they got. He reassured her that she would be okay, and continued leading her into the crowd until eventually he had to let go, now standing behind her. The girl and her siblings greeted Tsahik, the woman letting the four place their hands on each other's shoulders. The remaining Omatikaya did the same, connecting into a woven-like crowd. And Kireyi recognized it, it was another flow of energy, another connection between the Omatikaya and their forest as they welcomed a new member. Just as her people did.

Neteyam stood behind her, his hands gently placed along her shoulders, this thumbs rubbing delicate circles against her skin. So light it wouldn't even dare smudge the paint he'd so carefully placed earlier.

It was done in a matter of seconds, being welcomed as Omatikaya that is. Taking so little words to be named as one, the longest part the song and prayers as they stood in unity. Yet Kireyi didn't look back, she couldn't look back. It had been a bittersweet moment for everyone, because despite how amazing it'd been that she and her siblings could make peace this way, they all knew it meant heading back to sea in less than a months time. No one knew when they'd be back to visit, when Neteyam and his family would be able to see the forest again.

But it all seemed the vanish the second the few words rang through her ears, "I am so proud of you," Neteyam whispered, only loud enough for her to hear. And she wanted nothing more but to turn and hug him, to place her hand over his own, all to let him know she heard him.

It wasn't until the ceremony was over that she sped to take his hand, "shamelessly" placing her forehead against his shoulder even with others around, "Thank you. For everything Ma Teyam."