20| Back to Work

''𝙒𝙚𝙡𝙡, 𝙞𝙨𝙣'𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙞𝙧𝙤𝙣𝙞𝙘.''

𝗜𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝘅𝘁 𝗱𝗮𝘆 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗜 𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱𝗻'𝘁 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗽 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝗽𝗽𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗱 𝘆𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿𝗱𝗮𝘆

𝗜𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝘅𝘁 𝗱𝗮𝘆 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗜 𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱𝗻'𝘁 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗽 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝗽𝗽𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗱 𝘆𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿𝗱𝗮𝘆. I thought about telling somebody, but I couldn't. I tried bringing it up to Theo during dinner, but everytime I tried, the words got caught in my throat. So I just left it at that. 

Theo was upstairs, taking a shower. The first shower he's taken while being outside the Ministry. He would've taken one yesterday, but he quickly fell asleep upon arrival. I don't blame him, I would be, too. Especially if the only thing I had to sleep on was the stone floor. 

I heard the shower turn off from upstairs, telling me that Theo had been done. I walked to the front door and grabbed my house keys, which tended to be the only thing I needed since my bike was still broken at the moment. I hadn't had the chance to take another look at it since I had gotten Theo out of the Ministry. 

''I'm heading off to work.'' I shouted, hoping Theo would hear it. ''I'll be back later.'' 

I opened the door and was about to close it behind me when Theo had shouted. 

''Wait!'' He quickly walked down the stairs, finally getting his shirt over his head at the last step. I chuckled at him, watching as he straightened it down. ''I'm coming with you.'' He stated determinedly.

''What? No, you're not.'' 

''Yes, I am.'' He nodded with a smile, now standing next to me. 

''Just stay here and wait for me. My work is boring, anyway.''

''I don't care.'' He shook his head, looking over to me. His face didn't seem like he was kidding anymore, it was more serious. Something that Theo wasn't known to be seen as most of the time. ''I'm coming with you, whether you like it or not.''

I sighed, my shoulders slumping when I exhaled. 

''All right.'' I gave in. He jumped with a smile and was the first to step outside. I locked the door behind us, locking my arm with Theo's. 

I stuffed my keys in my pocket, Theo turning back to me. 

''Where do you work?'' He asked. I didn't get the chance to respond, an echoing crack in the silent atmosphere. 

When we touched back down onto the ground, Theo brought up a hand to his forehead. I steadied him with a hand on his back. He looked like he was about to vomit. 

''Hey, you all right there, Theo?'' I asked, crouching down a bit. He was lurched over, hands on his knees. 

''Yeah, yeah.'' He waved his hand at me, letting out a grunt. ''Just give me a minute.''