Fly girl - Part 3 - Tony x Steve x Reader

"Ho......ly shit!" (Y/n) exclaimed under her breath, as she followed the director through a doorway and into an expansive open space. The room filled with large sofas and chairs upon which sat the Avengers. All of them turning to look at her as she suddenly stopped. Her feet refusing to take another step. The pilot sure that her heart was about to stop.

Normally, she wasn't one to be starstruck. (Y/n) had always prided herself on being too pragmatic, too level-headed and sensible for any of that gushing praise of another. Afterall, no matter who or what they were, famous people were just that.........people. But this........this was a little, ok, a lot different. These were gods, super soldiers and a man that would become a big, green angry guy that could pull huge trees out of the ground, or snap cars in two. And it was one thing seeing these guys on the news or reading about them online. But it was a completely different matter being in the same room as them. The words of Hammer going around and around in her head, as Fury moved to stand before the group.

"Show them what a real hero looks like, Woody. A hero that doesn't need a fancy suit or super serum............" Her mechanic had said. (Y/n) straightening herself yet again, as the director began to speak.

"Miss Romanoff, gentlemen. I would like to introduce you to Captain (Y/f/n) (Y/l/n). Captain (Y/l/n), I would like you to meet the Avengers." Nick said, as if being introduced to the heroes was the most normal thing in the world. (Y/n) smiling and nodding her head, as the Avengers looked at her. Steve the first one to get to his feet.

"It's nice to meet you, Captain (Y/l/n)." Steve said as he offered (Y/n) his hand. (Y/n) wiping her sweaty palm down her jeans before taking the captain's hand in hers.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, sir. An honour in fact. And it's (Y/n), or Woody, please sir." (Y/n) replied, as she shook Steve's hand.

"And its Steve. You don't have to call me sir." The captain smiled. His smile disappearing as he heard an all to familiar mocking chuckle for behind him.

"Oh great, that's all we need, another member of the captain boy scout appreciation society. Haven't you got enough with Frosty the Snowman and the flying turkey over there?" Tony scoffed, as he leaned back in his chair. Cap and (Y/n)'s eyes turning to look at the smug looking billionaire.

"Ah, Mister Stark................." (Y/n) began, as she slowly stepped forward.

"The ego speaks............You know, I've seen you on the news, on the internet, and I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. I thought that you couldn't be as big an asshole in real life as you appeared in front of the camera. That you weren't just another one of those older men that needed younger women draped all over him, to make himself feel like he was in his prime again. That didn't fool himself that the girls were there because they gave a shit about you rather than your money; but it looks like I was wrong." The pilot continued, her arms crossing firmly over her chest. Doing her best to stand her ground and not look like she had just realised that she had insulted Iron Man. (Y/n) hoping that he wouldn't call on one of his gloves and blast her out of the room. The other Avengers just looking at one another, looking at Tony and the newbie, waiting to see what would happen next. Clint, Sam, Bucky and Scott, feeling like this (Y/n) had just hit the nail on the head. And all deciding that they already liked her.

"The old one-eyed wonder said that you got the Congressional Medal of Honour............." Tony just said, before taking a drink of his black coffee. The billionaire doing his best to hide his large smile behind the rim of his mug. (Y/n)'s brows furrowing, not sure whether he hadn't heard what she had just said, or whether he was ignoring it.

"Yes................."

"What for.................?"

"I........................."

"(Y/n) doesn't have to explain herself. Not to you or any of us. If the Director................"

"No, it's alright, sir..........Steve. If Mister Stark wants to judge whether I am worthy enough to call myself one of you, I have no issue in telling him how I got the medal." (Y/n) said, interrupting Steve. The captain giving her a smile, before she turned back to the billionaire.

"We got news that we had some guys that were pinned down behind enemy lines. I was already in the air, so made my way to where I had been told that they were. I landed the chopper and ran out into the gunfire to assist with injured personnel. During the evacuation, I took a bullet to the side, but managed to still pilot my bird out of the area. Despite orders to have my own wound checked, once we got back to base, I refused to do so until I knew that the men that I had helped rescue, had been taken care of. If you really want to know, Mister Stark, I didn't.........don't think that I deserve that medal, because there were people that I couldn't bring back that day. I had to leave the bodies of good men there, so I could try and help the living. And I live with the notion that there are families out there that didn't have a body to bury because of me. So.........now you know............" (Y/n) explained; doing her best to fight back the tears that desperately wanted to fall. Watching as the billionaire put down his mug and got to his feet before making his way over to her. Another large smile pulling at his lips, as he stopped in front of her.

"You're as screwed up as the rest of us, you'll fit in fine. Welcome onboard............Fly girl." Tony said, as he held out of his hand for (Y/n) to shake.

"Fly girl? Is that the best you can do?" (Y/n) enquired, as she now smiled at the billionaire.

"It will do until I can come up with something better. Oh, and by the way, I might be an asshole, but I have a feeling that I'm your kind of asshole. Now........why don't I introduce you to the rest of the crazies.............?" Tony replied, as he placed his arm around her shoulder, and turned her to look at the rest of the team.