The return of Sekhmet. And Avengers story - Part 1

Now, I know I am trying something different again. But this is more because I would like your opinion on this story. I have been planning it for a while, and it will be long, so I was thinking about making it into a book of its own. The first few parts are obviously just the build-up. But as I progress, I will be bringing more and more of the broader Avengers  characters in and it will end up primarily revolving around Bucky and Loki, as I absolutely adore them. So, I hope you enjoy. And needless to say, the reader character is the great goddess Sekhmet.

She was on yet another battlefield. The realm of her father, Ra, being invaded by the forces of the Asgardians. Young gods from a land far away to the north. Their brutality and strength unrivalled. People that were so different to her and her kin, not just in appearance, but in age. Her father and the rest of the gods were ancient. They had been in this land since the beginning of time. But now they faced the greatest threat to their lives. The goddess looking out of her tent and surveying the scene before her. Her father's people all loyal to the cause, preparing themselves in silence for what was to come. Sending their last prayers to the many deities that waited to stand with them.

"Sekhmet!" A voice came. The lady turning to see her father make his way over to her.

"Come here my child." The old man continued. Holding out his hand for her to take, as the pair drew closer.

"My child, you are my greatest treasure, my greatest general. I hate to ask you to fight another war for me. But I, we need you. The other gods do not possess your skill and tactics on the battlefield. Our mortals need your strength to instil courage in them for what is to come. The mortals fear you but without you they will not succeed. I also need you to rally the others, they are not truly prepared for what is to come. They, just like the people, need you more than you know. All I can ask; is that you do what you were born to do. Roar." The great father continued, as he held his daughter's hand tightly. The lady nodding and smile at her father, before she pushed through a curtain into another area of the command tent and come face to face with her family. Each one dressed in their finest armour. The atmosphere, thick and heavy as they made their last preparations. Sekhmet sure that she could hear their golden blood pump through their veins and their hearts race. The lady looking around at them. Horus, Seth, Osiris, Anubis, Thoth, Isis, Nephthys, and Hathor. A lump coming to her throat as she realised that she would probably loss one, if not more of them today. A small tear coming to her eye as she contemplated the loss. Yet she could not appear weak, not now. Her hand quickly wiping away the diamond like droplet from her cheek. She knew that the only ones truly prepared for the fight, were Horus and Seth. The two already having battled one another for so long. But the skill that they had gained from their fights, would aid them all now. She would use them to control the mortals during the fight. They the ones that would show the people that their gods had no intention of faltering.

"My father has asked me to come and speak to you." Sekhmet began, as she faced the other gods.

"I know many of you are not ready for what is to come. But we must fight for our land, for our people and for each other. Without us, the mortals will be lost and will scatter, and everything we know will be destroyed. I know that it is a lot to ask of you. That one, if not all of us could lose our lives today. But rest assured I will be with you all the way. I will be your right hand, as you are mine. I will be your sword and shield. I will be your amour and the bravery that burns in your heart." The goddess continued, Giving the others a reassuring smile, as she began to explain her plan for the battle.

"Horus and Seth, I want you to take command of the people. Of the forces of the Pharaoh. I will speak to him, and he will follow your orders. Osiris and Anubis, I will need you to ensure that the souls of their dead are destroyed and have no chance of entering their Valhalla. If we can put the fear of no eternal life in their heads, then maybe many will not fight. We may win the battle before it has even begun. But if not..........Isis, I need you to use your magic and create illusions to confuse our enemy. Nephthys, as Horus will be busy with the pharaoh's men, I will need you to provide me with information from the air. I don't wish you to engage in the fighting, your duty is to bring me intelligence. Hathor, you will stay by Isis' side and assist her. Thoth you will remain here in the command tent and take Nephthys' intelligence on our enemies' movements, and have it brought to me so that it may assist our plans. I know that no matter what we do today, many of our mortals will be lost. But if our losses mean that we and our people continue to exist on this land for millennia to come, then the sacrifice will be worth it. I am willing to lay down my life for you, this land and our people. I will be proud to die as long as I am surrounded by you, my family." The goddess ended. The assembled gods looking at her, as she bowed her head in respect and left the room. The goddess making her way out of the large tent, to find herself greeted by the young pharaoh who quickly fell to his hands and knees.

"Forgive me my lady Sekhmet, I have just come to inform you that my men are ready for the battle." The king advised her. The man getting to his feet as the fearsome goddess gestured for him to rise. Not even the Pharaoh daring to look her into her eyes.

"That is good. But I must inform you that you and your men will be taking orders from Horus and Seth." The goddess informed him. It obvious from the stiffening in the young man's shoulders, that he wasn't happy with the order.

"But my lady, I am well versed in battle. And I am not scared of the enemy.........."

"And that is exactly why you will be taking orders from Horus and Seth. You are a foolish man if you do not fear our enemy. Your judgment is clouded by your youth, your ego, and a desire to be celebrated. To be remember for the ages. Horus and Seth have no such desires. You and your men will follow their orders as if they were my own. And if you do not, I assure you that you will regret it." Sekhmet growled. The young king cowering at the sound of the anger in her voice. Sure that she meant every word.

"I will do as you say my lady. The orders of Seth and Horus will be as yours." The Pharaoh replied, bowing respectfully before he turned and walked away.

"Sekhmet." A low and deep voice rumbled from behind her. The goddess turning to face Horus. His lips gently kissing her cheek.

"My apologise for the king, he is young and ambitious. Please don't be too hard on him." Horus told her, as he took her hand.

"And that is exactly why I am hard on him Horus. And that is why you and Seth will be in command of his forces. It is safer to have a respectful fear of your enemy. To have every possible scenario, good and bad play out in your mind. To be prepared for anything that is to come. If you don't have fear, you will become arrogant and you will lose. If I fall, I need to have the confidence that you two will carry out my plan and bring it to fruition. That you will succeed where I could not." The goddess replied, as Horus pulled her close.

"Do not say that Sekhmet. You are not destined to fall in battle. This is where you thrive. It is what you were born to do, and it is why you are your fathers general." Horus told her, as she placed her head on his chest. His fingers softly combing through her hair.

I wish that I was as confident as you, Horus. But not even Ra knows what will happen this day. I must think of all possible outcomes. And if one of the outcomes is that I lose my life, then I need to know that my death was not in vain." Sekhmet told him, as she listened to her lover's heartbeat. Hoping that it would not be the last time that she could do so.

"Seth and I will follow your orders to the end. Whatever happens today, you have no need to fear that either of us will faulter." Horus assured, as he placed a kiss to the top of her head. The great god giving her a reassuring smile, before disappearing back into the tent; leaving her to look up into the sky as the new morning sun just began to appear slowly above the horizon. The lady looking down from her vantage point at the amassed enemy on the other side of the valley. They seemed to stretch for miles, and at the heart of them, their god, King Odin and his general, and daughter, Hela. Sekhmet swearing to herself that whatever else happened, Hela and Odin would fall this day.