In the dark - Part 3 - Sam x Reader

"Have you lost your mind...........?!" Steve exclaimed, as he quickly pushed Tony's hand down, preventing the explosion that was about to happen.

"What...............?" Tony retorted, as he looked between the captain and the others.

"(Y/n) and the turkey are stuck in there, and we need to get them out.........."

"You call yourself a genius?" Clint interrupted with a huff. The archer and the rest of the team just looking at the billionaire in disbelief.

"Of course, we want to get them out, but you blasting away, like you're showing off as per usual, is only going to get them killed. That is if they aren't already dead.............." The archer continued. The last part said only just above a whisper, as he placed his hand on one of the fallen boulders.

"What Clint means, is that if you try and blast these rocks away, it could just cause another fall further on the cave. We have no idea how unstable this system is, and the last thing we need to do is make it any worse for (Y/n) and Sam." Nat continued, giving her old friend a disapproving look for his suggestion that the pair might already be dead.

"Oh yeah...............you have a point. But what do we do now? The only one that knows anything about this kind of thing, is stuck behind several tons of rock." Tony agreed, as looked at the mess of rubble. The dust from the fall still hanging in the air.

"Yeah, the only one that does now about this, is the one that stuck, and she is the only one that has any chance of getting herself and Wilson out of there in one piece. Did you not see that huge backpack that she had? It was crammed with all manner of stuff, just on the off chance something like this did happen. The only thing we can do, is use one of your gadgets and see if we can figure out if there is another route out of this place, and then try and find it. I'll bet that is exactly what (Y/n) is doing." Clint spoke up again. The rest of the team agreeing, as they quickly all made their way back to the Quinjet, hoping that there might be something of use onboard. The archer whispering to Bucky that they should replace Tony's Iron Man helmet, with a dunce's cap.

>>-----------------------------------<<

"So............how long you been interested in caves.............?" Sam suddenly asked, as he and (Y/n) stopped for a moment. The pair sitting against a large rock as (Y/n) pushed things around in her bag until she found a bottle of water and handed it to Sam.

"I don't know if I would really say I was interested in caves; I just tend to read things, that lead to more things, and then even more things. Works out that systems like this can be a lot more important than you might think. They aren't just holes in the ground or in hillsides." (Y/n) replied, as she wiped the sweat from her brow, before taking back the bottle of water that Sam offered.

"Well, what are they.............?" Sam continued. The Falcon having to admit that it was nice for once to have a conversation with (Y/n) and not just be goading her into another argument.

In all honesty, he didn't like arguing with (Y/n) as much as he did. He knew that it was dumb. But with Barnes always joking that she was too good, too smart for him, Sam had sort of gone out of his way to prove to the Winter Soldier and everyone else, that he wasn't interested in (Y/n) anyway, which of course was a huge lie. And all he had really done was make it more impossible for himself to tell her that he would like to get to know her, when they were being something other than Avengers. He would like to get to know her when they were just normal people. You know, do the whole dating thing. But as it was, it had just become a vicious circle of him coming out with something dumb, (Y/n) correcting him, and then they would hurl insults until someone stepped in.

"Well.............." The female Avenger began, handing Sam a protein bar before continuing.

"I sort of think of them as time capsules, filled with all manner of wonderful things from the history of the world. Not just things like the formations that we came across in here, but the fossils and bones of creatures that have long been extinct. Bones of our own ancestors. Even cave painting that were done thousands and thousands of years ago. Painting that can be found all across the world. They were used as places to shelter. To keep livestock. Heck, people have even found things like treasure from the time of Alexander the Great and the Dead Sea Scrolls in caves. So, I think that caves are quite fascinating. Though...........I do have to admit that being stuck in one with no apparent way of getting out, isn't really my idea of a good time. But..............." (Y/n) explained, as she slowly got to her feet.

"We won't know if there is a way out, if we continue to sit here and hope that the rest of them will just somehow get to us. Because, if I know the others, Steve has already stopped Tony from blasting the rubble at the mouth of the cave. Clint has probably called him an idiot and told Stark that as I am the only one that came in here with any real knowledge of caves and any real equipment, that I will most likely be trying to get you to another way out. Adding that there might be something on the Quinjet that could possibly help from their end. So, as I have no desire to disappoint, let's get moving." She continued, offering Sam her hand and helping him too his feet. Her hand never leaving his, as they continued into the darkness. Sam sure that if he had to be stuck in a cave in the bowels out the earth, he was glad that it was with (Y/n).