Failure to communicate - Part 7 - Phil x Reader

Ah.....Rome. The eternal city. Could it get any better? Could the day be more glorious? (Y/n) was tempted to think not, as she and Phil had made their way through the streets with all the other tourists that crowded the way. The pair walking up the steps at the Piazza di Spagna. Phil finally seeming to ease into the role of her husband, as they had reached the Piazza del Popolo. As they had made their way into the Vatican Museum. The senior agent holding her hand, as they had climbed the beautiful Bramante staircase. His arm moving to her waist, as they had made their way into the Rotunda room. As they had looked up at Raphael's famed School of Athens. And now, as they stood staring up at the wonder of Michelangelo's creation, on the roof of the Sistine Chapel. (Y/n) was sure that she didn't want to see all of this, with anyone other than Phil. That despite the relationship between them merely being an act to make it look like they were nothing more than just normal people. Despite the fact that when this was all over, and they returned to the States, Phil would probably just go back to treating her how he had been treating her. She was going to make the most of this. She was going to be happy for as long as she could be.

                                                           >>---------------------------------<<

Phil finally managed to turn his eyes from the ceiling to the woman by his side. A small smile pulling at the corners of his lips, as he saw the childlike wonder in her eyes. The senior agent sure that even the beauty of the Sistine Chapel, paled into comparison to the woman whose hand was still firmly in his. They had only been out for a few hours, yet he was sure that they had been some of the best hours of his life. He had noticed all manner of men looking at her, as they had made their way through the piazzas. As they had journeyed to the museum. Phil feeling his chest puff out slightly, as she had taken his hand and pulled him to the steps at the Piazza di Spagna. Her lips connecting with his, as they stood among the crowd. (Y/n) telling him that if they really were honeymooners, that kissing on the Spanish steps would be one of the things that they would do. Phil not caring if that was true or not, but just liking that it had given him the excuse to kiss her back.

And now, now he had never been happier that Fury had given him the mission. That the director had told him that he could choose the agent to go with him. Phil sure that he didn't want to see all of this wonder, with anyone else but (Y/n).

While she had slept, Phil had lain awake for a while. Trying to think of the best way to tell her how he truly felt. The reasons why he had been being so awful to her. Yet the more he had thought about it, the more that he had come to believe that it wasn't the time. That they were there on a mission, and to bring up real emotions, real feelings, may be better to leave for when they got back home. But as she suddenly moved into his side, he was beginning to change his mind.

"I know that given where we are, I really should be thinking of more spiritual things. But it seems that my stomach didn't get the memo. You don't want to go and call in one of those cafes that we passed on the way here, do you?" (Y/n) asked, as her eyes finally moved from the 16th century artwork some feet above, to Phil.

"Well................" Phil replied. Doing his best to not laugh, as he heard an audible grumble come from the younger agent's stomach.

"It looks like we better had do. If you keep making noises like that, every Hydra operative in Italy will know that we are here." Phil continued. Shaking his head, as (Y/n) pulled him out of the chapel and then along the warm, sunny streets of the capital. The bell above the café door ringing out, as she pushed her way in.

                                                      >>---------------------------------<<

"So................." (Y/n) began, after the waiter had placed some drinks and food in front of her and Phil. The agent not continuing until the man had disappeared back into the café.

"I read thought the file more than once. But I don't understand why Hydra would even contemplate trying to break into the vaults of the Vatican. It's not like breaking into any other place. It's the Vatican. The home of the Pope for goodness' sake. The Pope's personal Swiss Guard are always in the city. One hundred and thirty five men. And its full of nuns, priests, monsignors, cardinals, and tourists most of the day. That, and I'm not even sure that anyone, other than the Pontiff perhaps, knows what is really in the vaults. The secrets of the ages are supposedly held down there. Unimaginable treasures. Ancient texts. Do you actually think that they are just going to let someone walk in there and take what they want? Take a weapon that could end the world. Even if that someone is part of Hydra." (Y/n) continued, as she took a sip of the red wine in her glass.

Phil had to admit that she had a point. That of all the places in the world, the Vatican was not the first place that would spring to mind, to try and rob. But that was the intel that S.H.I.E.L.D had received. That deep in the heart of the vaults was an ancient weapon. A weapon that Hydra believed could help them against S.H.I.E.L.D and the Avengers. So, they couldn't take any chances. Loki, aliens and killer robots had been bad enough. So, the last thing that they needed was a so called "Armageddon" weapon falling into the wrong hands.

"You're right, (Y/n). But even if that is the case, we still have to take the threat seriously. If the weapon does exist, and if Hydra do try and get to it. You and I are the first line of defence, to stop anymore disaster from coming to the world. And even if nothing comes of it, you've got two weeks in Rome thanks to S.H.I.E.L.D and Hydra." Phil replied, as he picked up his own glass and chinked it against hers.

"Yeah. Can't argue with that. And I get to spend those two weeks with you." (Y/n) retorted. Phil not sure what to think, as she leaned across the small table and kissed him on the lips, before turning her attention to the Caprese salad on the plate in front of her. Doing her best to hide her smile, as she decided that when they got back to the hotel, she was going to tell Phil how she really felt about him. And just hope that he wouldn't send her right back home.