Assassin - Part 6 - Tony x Reader

"(Y/n).....................?"

"Huh.......................?"

"Have you been listening to a single word I just said?" Tony asked, as he finally noticed that she had been sat at his work bench just staring off into space.

"Er, yeah..........Of course. You were telling me about an idea that you have had for a new suit for me. Something that will give me a little more protection than what I have at the moment......................." (Y/n) replied. Smiling as the billionaire furrowed his brows. Tony sure that what he had just told her had gone in one ear and right out the other.

"And..........what do you think....................?"

"Well, if it affords me extra protection, I'm not going to say no, now am I.......?" The assassin continued. Giving Tony another smile, before seeming to drift off back into her own world again.

"Ok..........what's going on................?" Tony asked, bringing (Y/n) back once again from her thoughts.

"Nothing's going on....................."

"Bullshit! I know you well enough to know when something is going on in that head of yours. Now what is it? You know that you can tell Uncle Tony anything." The billionaire countered, as he sat on the stool by her side and took her hand. (Y/n) letting out a heavy sigh.

It was true that she needed someone to talk to. Not about the Scott stuff............well, she had to suppose that was part of it, but most of it was about everything else that her life really entailed. But how could she? A little part of her worried about what the others would say, despite the fact that Nat and Clint were agents too and had their own secret missions. Despite the fact that Bucky had been the Winter Soldier and been forced to do what he had done. Despite the fact that they had all done things while being Avengers that they might not necessarily be proud of, she still felt that what she did was a little something extra. She was Fury's secret assassin. She was cold and methodical in her work. She did her research into all of her victims, finding the best ways to kill each of them without the possibility of being detected. She had perfected her techniques and never felt guilty for her actions, knowing that she was ridding the world of the worst of the worst. People that only did harm. Yet that didn't mean that sometimes all of it didn't take its toll occasionally. And now with Scott, with the idea of a date that might hopefully lead to more dates, and then something more, the whole notion of giving it all up, was rearing it ugly head again.

Despite Tony's outwardly over the top persona, deep down (Y/n) knew that he had a good heart. And even though they would tease one another; even though he would try and charm her, she had always found that if something was wrong, the billionaire was the first one that she would always go and see. Their conversations in the early hours of the morning, as she helped him work on one project or another in the labs, never failing to help.

"It's complicated.................."

"When isn't it? We have a building full of gods, super soldiers that are both over a hundred years old, spies and a guy that can turn into a big green monster when he gets pissed. Everything is complicated around here. If it wasn't complicated, then I would be worried............." Tony countered. (Y/n) letting out a small, amused snort and nodding in agreement.

"I suppose.............but this is more complicated than most, Tony. I wouldn't even know where to begin, and even if I did, I'm afraid it could change the way that you see me...................."

"Hey, hey.........nothing could change the way that I see you. You're a good woman, (Y/n). Even in our crazy world, you somehow manage to keep that kind nature of yours. You put up with my crap, Barton's grumpiness and have somehow managed to stop Barnes and Wilson from killing one another, better than even Rogers can. There is a lot to be said for all of that. Now, what is it..............? It's obviously playing on your mind................."

"Scott has asked me out.........................."

"Well, it's about damn time! I was getting a little sick of watching his far away looks every time that you left the room. Or his puppy dog stares every time that you sat next to him. You know, the other night when we were out and you were here, all Lang could talk about was you.......... 'Do you think that she's ok?' 'Should we go back and check on her?' 'I hope she's alright'.............." Tony interrupted, doing his best to mimic Scott. (Y/n) chuckling at the terrible attempt.

"Its not really anything to do with Scott...........not really.......To be honest, I've been waiting for him to ask me out since I first met him. I would have done it myself but...................but again, it's just complicated. Its more that...........that I'm not............well, I am, but...............You see I............." (Y/n) rambled on, doing her best to think of a way to tell the billionaire what she really was, without telling him what she really was. Sure, that Fury wouldn't be too please if she confessed it all to Tony of all people. The assassin breathing a soft sigh of relief, as Bruce popped his head around the door.

"Oh, er sorry..............Hi (Y/n), I didn't know that you were in here. I hope I'm not interrupting anything. I just needed to have a word with Tony............" Bruce apologised, pushing his glasses up his nose as he made his way further into the room.

"No.............its ok, Bruce. It was nothing important anyway. And I should be going, I have a few things to do before this evening." (Y/n) replied, giving Bruce a soft smile, before getting to her feet.

"Thanks Tony. Thank you for being there for me. But like I said.........its complicated." The assassin continued, kissing him softly on the cheek before making for the door. Leaving Bruce and Tony to just watch as she disappeared out of sight.