Failure to communicate - Part 6 - Phil x Reader

Phil slowly opened his eyes, as a soft, warm zephyr sent the light curtains that covered the balcony doors, fluttering up into the air. The senior agent for a moment, expecting to see some kind of ghost make their way into the room, as the material seemed to drape itself around some unseen force. Yet he was also sure that even if Hydra agent were to suddenly fill the room, he wouldn't really notice. His true attention solely focused on the slumbering woman in the bed beside him. The only thing separating the pair being a small barricade of pillows, that (Y/n) was currently snuggled up to.

When they had got back to the room the night before, Phil had done his best to make the younger agent feel comfortable. To talk to her. Apologise for being the one to let the side down. For not getting into the cover story as well as he should. The older agent feeling a smile sneak its way onto his lips, as (Y/n) seemed to accept his words. As she had smiled back at him, before stating that despite the fact that it probably wouldn't be long before Hydra's agents made their move and tried to break into the vaults of the Vatican, she should probably unpack. That it would look better if it appeared as though they had every intention of staying in the ancient capital for the whole two weeks of their "honeymoon". Phil watching, as she pulled the clothes from her luggage and hung them in the wardrobe. Completely taken by her every movement. Though finding himself a little disappointed, that when she had come back for the bathroom having informed him that she was going to change for bed. She had appeared from the adjacent room in an Iron Man t-shirt and black shorts. Phil sure that Tony Stark could get everywhere.

But now, as she rested peacefully by his side, he couldn't help but think that once again (Y/n) looked perfect. The senior agent having a feeling that he could get quite used to waking up just like this every morning. Phil at this moment getting a sense of what he had really missed out on by devoting his life to his work.

"Morning." A soft, sleepy voice suddenly said. Phil shaking the thoughts from his mind, as he looked down at the now slowly waking (Y/n). Doing his best to hide his smile, as she stretched in such a dramatic way that he was sure that she really was going for that Oscar.

"Morning." Phil replied. Groaning slightly as he sat up and caught sight of Iron Man looking right back at him.

"Can I ask you something..............?" The older agent began. (Y/n) nodding as she turned onto her side to get a better look at him.

"Sure..............."

"Why Iron Man?" Phil continued. His brows furrowing, as (Y/n) began to laugh. As she pulled at the t-shirt so that she could get a better look at the red and gold image on the front.

"Why not? I know uncle Tony................."

"Uncle Tony!?" Phil blurted out. (Y/n) laughing all the more, as she too sat up in the bed.

"Well.......not uncle by blood, of course. But Tony knew my dad from MIT. He, Colonel Rhodes and my dad were good friends. And from being little, I always called him Uncle Tony, whenever he would come to the house. And he never seemed to mind. He along with Nick were the ones that helped me when my parents were killed. Nick had agents keep their eyes on me, to make sure that whoever had come for my parents, didn't come back for me. And Tony made sure that I had everything I needed. To be honest, he himself gave me the t-shirt for my last birthday. You know what he's like. A wonderful self-publicist. And even though I know he can be a little.........well a little bit of an ass at times. I can't help but like him. Because I know that underneath all that brashness lays the heart of a very good man." (Y/n) explained, as she smiled down at the image of the billionaire's alter ego that looked back up at her.

Phil had to admit that he was slightly taken aback. He knew that the director had been a friend of (Y/n)'s parents. But had no idea that Stark had also known the family. Sure, that he had seen no mention of it in her personnel files. Nor that the often irritating billionaire, was so close to the beautiful agent by his side, that she would quiet happily refer to Stark, as her "uncle". And he also had to admit that with every moment that he spent with (Y/n), she was becoming more and more fascinating. More and more of a puzzle. A puzzle that he would very much like to solve.

"So........what do you want to do today? Personally, I think that we should scope out the Vatican itself. Maybe the museum would be a good place to start our day. If Hydra are after breaking into the vaults, it makes sense to be there just in case. I must admit that I would really love to see the Pantheon and Colosseum too. But now's probably not the time, huh?" (Y/n) enquired cheerily. Stopping the older man as he reached for his gun, when a loud knock came to the door.

"It's ok. It's just breakfast. The concierge told me that the honeymoon suite gets a complimentary breakfast every morning. And I made sure to do a little research while I was drinking my coffee yesterday. It is a service that they offer for newlyweds." She explained, as she pushed back the white sheets and let her feet drop to the floor. Gesturing for Phil to move the pillow barricade from the bed, before letting a young woman enter the room and place a tray on the coffee table. The blonde girl smiling at (Y/n), as the two females spoke for a moment, before she left the room. Leaving the two agents alone together again. Phil determining, as he himself climbed out of the bed. That he was going to find as much about (Y/n) as he could. And real or not. Hydra or not. He was going to make the most of having (Y/n) with him. Just as he had planned.