Chapter One-Hundred and Fifteen

Eventually Odin stood to depart, followed quickly by Kaya who had clearly been informed of protocol by someone. Thor smiled, making his leave out of the hall with the rest of the crowd, likely expecting me to follow him. I didn't. Instead, I teleported towards Kaya. I needed to hear what he asked her afterwards, and if Odin didn't want me to be there he would soon make that clear. Kaya may not be able to see me, but my brother and father sensed my illusions well after so long around me. Kaya followed my father in silence as he made his way down his private staircase. I quickly realised where he was leading her, though I couldn't hope to understand why. Eventually my father broke their silence as they ascended into the room just before the vault.

"There is no need to be alarmed, you performed perfectly, my child." Her smile was beautiful as all of her worries melted from her face. She was happy, ecstatic even, to secure my father's approval. So should I have been. And yet as he approached the door to the vault I couldn't help but be more concerned at his actions.

"Thank you, Allfather."

"We are alone, my child, you may refer to me by name and you need not be so formal." As he turned to speak to her, he glanced slightly at my direction. Still, he made no acknowledgment of my presence, which I took as his permission to be here. It confused me even more. I'd long been banned from approaching this room.

"Thank you, Odin."

My father used Gungnir to open the vault, the echo of locks clicking open bouncing in the space around us. Far above us stood guards who protected the entrance to the staircase, ultimately there should be guards outside here too. I was surprised at how little extra protection was implemented since I'd shown the Jötunns how to gain access.

"Something bothers you, my child." Odin queried as he stepped through the door. Kaya followed nervously, clearly hesitating over what to inform him about. I failed to see why my father would let me be privy to such a discussion but I assumed he thought I would be more dangerous if he had barred me. He had to be aware of how... unstable I've been. By now I didn't doubt that everyone had seen it.

"And here I thought I'd perfected my mask." She laughed nervously before gasping slightly as she stepped over the threshold to the vault. Her demeanour changed for a second. Though I couldn't hear her thoughts, they were obviously scrambled for a brief moment, as her attention was drawn to something else entirely. As quickly as it was there, it was gone, her mask falling back on as my father placed a hand on her shoulder to bring her attention back. He knew something I didn't. And it enraged me as I tried to figure it out. A small smile that didn't reach her eyes returned to her face as she continued her previous train of thought. "I knew returning to Asgard could impact Prince Loki negatively. I thought I had prepared for that possibility. Considered multiple scenarios in which he sabotaged us, betrayed me, and even stabbed Thor. Worried over him vying for the throne again, or that someone here would look at me wrong on the wrong day and he would spiral. In none of them did he immediately refuse to talk to me. In none of them did I think I would feel... alone."

She was confiding in my father of all people. It irked me more than I realised it would. Still, I stayed hidden. Desperate to know what she would confide in him about, and what he would say in response knowing I was there. Surely he would be more careful about what he divulged. I hadn't thought to make him swear an oath to me, only my brother.

"Hopefully knowing the results of today will ease my son's emotions."

"So I definitely passed?"

"You were never going to fail, not from today. Regardless of how you responded. You've proven yourself already in your determination to succeed and your refusal to crumble even under the circumstances you find yourself in. You may be Midgardian, but those that view you as lesser for such a reason have found themselves increasingly unable to justify it. The fact that you stand up to both of my sons alone makes you more than worthy of your position. Of course there will be more learning over the next year, but after that you may take your position freely. I see no reason why you couldn't." That was nothing like my father. How could one simple banishment change him so thoroughly? Giving a high position in the Court to someone, however symbolic it may be, wasn't something to be done without careful consideration. I stepped further into the room as they walked in, the door locking behind me. As soon as I did I noticed exactly what divided her attention. I'd ignored it at first, put it down to seeing the treasures he kept locked away down here, or her recognising the room from a memory she'd witnessed long ago. I hadn't considered it being something else entirely.