ʜᴇᴀᴅᴘʜᴏɴᴇs - ᴍᴀᴛᴀᴛᴀɢɪ ʜᴀʏᴀᴛᴏ

No one's POV

It was the end of practice and everyone had been sweating since they were really tired. Everyone, but Y/n. She was too busy reading a book and listening to music. Tenma and Sakura tried to convince the girl to practice but she refused to. She was only on the team because of the contract, she didn't actually have to play for the team. Plus, there were enough players for there to be a substitute. Y/n thought it was a good idea if she was a substitute instead of a starter.

"Do you guys think it's a good idea if we keep letting L/n-chan skip practice like this? We've all decided to practice but her!" Sakura asked, picking up her water bottle.

"We can try again tomorrow! I'm sure she'll want to practice with us!" Tenma said with a small smile on his face. The two looked over to the girl who was sitting down on the bench.

"How about I talk to her?" Matatagi suggested. The pink-haired girl and brunette looked at each other before nodding.

Y/n was still reading her book when Matatagi came over to her. He stood in front of her with his arms crossed. He tried to maintain his 'nice guy act'.

"L/n, why won't you come to practice with us?" Matatagi asked. He had forgotten the girl had headphones on, which meant she couldn't hear him. Y/n didn't realise Matatagi was talking to her since she was too busy reading her book.

"L/n I know we all signed the same contract and it said we don't need to practice but don't you understand why we were chosen to play for our country?" Matatagi raised his voice a bit, not too much.

The girl didn't even look at him. This angered the brown-haired boy. He clenched his fist and then he had finally noticed the girl was wearing headphones. The boy snatched the headphones off her head and held them in his right hand.

"Hey! Give me my headphones!" Y/n whined, reaching out for her headphones. Matatagi placed the headphones higher up so she couldn't reach it.

"Why don't you join practice?" Matatagi yelled, a little too loud for Y/n's liking. Y/n covered her ears.

"You didn't have to shout.." she mumbled. "Could i please have my headphones back?"

Matatagi shook his head and smirked. "You don't deserve theses." He then threw the headphones on the floor and stepped on it, breaking them instantly. Y/n's eyes widened.

"W-why..-"

"You're always using these stupid headphones! Wake up for once! Stop reading and do something with your lazy ass!" Matatagi yelled. This caught the attention of his fellow teammates. They all ran over to see what was happening. Y/n was on the verge of crying, those were her favourite headphones and music to her was what people liked to call 'their escape from reality'.

"Matatagi! What did you do? We just told you to talk to her, not make her cry!" Tenma said. Sakura looked at the h/c girl who was trying her best not to cry.

"I-I'm sorry, I think I need to go to my dorm. I'll join you for practice tomorrow, captain." Y/n said quietly, grabbing her book and walking to the building.

"You really messed up, Matatagi. You know she had a crush on you, right?" Sakura confessed, putting a hand on his shoulder. Matatagi's eyes widened.

"She did?" He whispered to himself.

"Better do something about it before no one loves you~" Sakura whispered in his ear before walking away.

Matatagi looked down at the broken headphones and picked it up. He frowned but then an idea popped into his head.

Timeskip

No ones POV

Y/n was exhausted. This was the first time she had practiced since... the day she arrived here. She had to admit though, training with the team was fun.

"Y/n-chan! You did great today! I'm guessing I'll see you again during practice?" Aoi said, giving a water bottle to Y/n. The girl nodded and walked to the changing rooms to get changed before heading to her dorm.

She had nothing to use to shut out all the unwanted noise as she read her book.

Suddenly, someone knocked on her dorm door.

"It's open.." she said quietly. The door opened revealing a sweating Matatagi, who was panting for air. He had a bag in his hands.

Y/n didn't say anything and and continued reading her book.

"Look, I'm sorry for what I did yesterday.. I didn't know that you uh.."

"It's fine."

"I uh.. got you this.." he muttered, holding out the bag infront of Y/n. The girl tilted her head to the side in confusion.

"For me? Are you sure it's for me?" The brown-haired boy nodded. Y/n took the bag and looked in it. There were brand new headphones in it. They were also in her favourite colour.

"How did you know what my favourite colour was?" She asked, smiling a little at the boy.

"I noticed that you have a lot of things in that colour so I thought it was a good idea to get them in this colour." Matatagi confessed, blushing slightly.

Y/n placed the bag on her bed and went over to hug him. Matatagi was surprised when the girl had hugged him but he immediately hugged her back.

"Thank you.." she whispered. Matatagi smiled and kissed her forehead.

"You're welcome.." he said, placing his chin on the top of her head.