42. Birthday Gift

When Hu Jing Yao opened his eyes early in the morning, Yu Hua's head was still on his chest. Trying not to wake the tired man, the CEO reached the bedside table and got his phone. He took a glance towards the head on his chest, then he wrote a message to Lu Rao to inform the director that Yu Hua had an emergency and wasn't able to come for the day. After that, he wrote another message to his secretary with the same content for himself.

Even when Yu Hua didn't tell him that today was his birthday, he knew the actor needed a kind of celebration to distract his mind from all those bad things that happened to him recently. Therefore, the CEO was determined to make the best out of the day.

With the plan in his mind, Hu Jing Yao gently saved himself from Yu Hua and called the room service for an inclusive breakfast. Then he took a quick shower and put on well-fit blue jeans and a dark blue turtleneck sweater. As he was busy drying his slightly long hair, breakfast arrived.

"Yu Hua, wake up," he called out to the sleeping man with a soft tone.

Yu Hua hummed groggily and opened his eyes tiredly. He took a few seconds to remember where he was, then swiftly took a sitting position on the bed.

"Good morning," he said shyly to the CEO, who smiled at him with a nod.

"Come, let's have breakfast."

"O-Okay," Yu Hua replied and after being refreshed in the bathroom, he joined the CEO around the table. As he had the shooting at two, he still had time for breakfast.

I could get used to it, Hu Jing Yao thought as he looked at the actor's still puffed face and bed hair, but dismissed the idea as fast as it came.

"Mr. Hu, I didn't know you like sweets at breakfast," Yu Hua said randomly, trying to break the CEO's intense gaze on him.

"These are for you, sweets prompt your body to release serotonin."

Hi everyone, welcome Biology 101... Damn!

As expected Yu Hua gave Hu Jing Yao a confused look, but then a tiny bit of a smile crept onto his lips and said "thank you then."

Oh, okay, it was worth the embarrassment, the CEO said inwardly as he watched the younger man biting a croissant. Then he poured coffee into two cups and added some milk to them. Reaching one cup to Yu Hua, he said "I have a day off, let's do something."

Yu Hua's hand holding the cup froze midair, "I have shooting today," he said apologetically after a second and put the cup on the table.

"No, you don't," Hu Jing Yao objected calmly after taking a sip of his coffee.

"What? Why?" Yu Hua started to panic.

"I called you in sick, just for today, don't worry."

"Oh," Yu Hua hummed, not understanding why the CEO did such a thing.

"So, where do you want to go?" Hu Jing Yao asked, returning to the initial topic.

"Can I really choose?" the actor asked with suspicion.

Hu Jing Yao smiled, "of course, it is my birthday gift to you."

Hearing the man, Yu Hua stiffened for a second, but seeing the CEO was still smiling, he relaxed again. Seriously though, did he have to make it this hard for Yu Hua not to fall for him? Well, he already failed that task...

"So?"

Whatever, I will be greedy this time, Yu Hua made up his mind and looked the CEO in the eye, "can we go to the seaside?"

"Seaside?" Hu Jing Yao repeated and nodded approvingly. It was a good choice, indeed.

Yu Hua beamed, his eyes sparkled for the first time after so long.

"Do you like the seaside this much?" Hu Jing Yao asked, not even blinking to carve the scene into his mind.

"I don't know," Yu Hua answered truthfully, "I have never been there."

"Really?" Hu Jing Yao was shocked as it was only two hours of driving from there. His life had been indeed hard.

Yu Hua nodded shyly and stuffed some pastries into his mouth to drop the topic before the CEO asked him why. He didn't want to think about his life that day. He wanted to act like a free man who had no duress or responsibilities.

Luckily, Hu Jing Yao understood him and didn't ask further. They had their breakfast while talking about random stuff, and after that, the CEO wanted the actor to choose some of his clothes to wear (as they had forgotten to send Yu Hua's dirty clothes to cleaning), but being thoughtful to his very core, Yu Hua declined the privilege. What if he chose the CEO's favourite clothes?

Admitting defeat, Hu Jing Yao just gave him a new pair of blue jeans and a lilac hoodie which his idiot brother bought to tease him. Yes, Hu Jing Yao hated all shades of purple.

Well, apparently he didn't hate the colour; he just hated to wear something purple because Yu Hua looked stunning in that lilac hoodie.

Lavender...

When Hu Jing Yao's weird mind was off lavender fields, he realised one of Yu Hua's black sneakers was torn on the side, probably from the previous fight. Although it wasn't damaged completely, for the CEO, it was unacceptable for a birthday man.

"Do you like pink?"

Yu Hua stopped tying his shoelace and raised his head to look at the CEO with a frown, "pink? I like it, why?"

Hu Jing Yao smiled triumphantly. When Hu Lei bought him the lilac hoodie, he retaliated with a pair of powder pink converse as his brother hated pink. Well, evidently his hate for the colour was greater than Hu Jing Yao's because he came all the way from the company to the hotel and hung the shoes on the door handle of Hu Jing Yao's suit room. After laughing for a long while for his successful teasing, the CEO didn't want to get rid of the shoes, so he just stuffed them into the back of the wardrobe.

Pushing and pulling boxes out of his way, Hu Jing Yao finally managed to find the shoebag in interest. With a proud smile, he gave the dusty bag to Yu Hua, "I bought these to tease my brother, he wears the same number as you, so they should fit."

Giving a converse to tease? Yu Hua wished to be teased like that. Dusting off the shoes, he asked, "is it really okay for me to wear these?"

"If it fits, it is yours," the CEO replied as he dusted off his own pants.

Like Cinderella, Yu Hua couldn't help but think. Then he shook his head in terror, blamed the author for the weird thought, and tried the converse. Luckily, they fit perfectly and the CEO got mesmerised.

How could Yu Hua look so eternal with those pastel colours?

"Perfect," Hu Jing Yao found himself saying as he ogled the actor, making the latter blush.

"Shall we go?" Yu Hua asked, fidgeting, but his phone rang before he could take a step towards the door.

"Hey, why so early?" the actor greeted Ming Lei, who was at the other end.

"A' Hua, uncle left your house with his luggage, he said he is leaving!"