Chapter 62

Two days after waking up from my coma, it was determined that I'd surpassed stable condition and was now considered 'good,' which meant I could go home following forty-eight additional hours of observation.

I had so many visitors during that period that it was like I had a revolving door to my hospital room. Both grandmas brought me food, which I was finally cleared to eat, and they cried when they saw me. When my uncles came, I begged them to let the court system handle Liam. I explained that harming him would land them in prison and that our family needed them where they were. They admitted that they'd made those threats in the heat of the moment and now that I was fine, they weren't so hot for vengeance.

I made my dad go home to sleep at night since he hadn't gotten much rest for weeks. He relaxed considerably after I accepted that I'd been dreaming the whole time I was unconscious, though I doubted he understood how difficult it was for me to come to terms with that. I missed Shawn horribly, which logically made no sense since I didn't truly know him.

When my discharge day came, my father reluctantly drove me to my apartment. He wanted me to stay with him, but I insisted on being independent. I agreed to letting my cousin Bethany (who was not actually engaged) spend a couple additional nights with me. My very first night home, however, my best friends were sleeping over instead.

"I dropped Inky off earlier," Dad said in the car. "She liked living with me because I've got mice in the basement. She caught four of them!"

"Hopefully the tiny panther will readjust to a hunting-free life."

"Tiny panther? That's cute," he laughed.

"It's what Shawn called her," I said before correcting myself, "in my dream."

"If you want to date that young man, I'm all for it. I really hope I get the chance to see him again because he was good company during those early days. I like him."

"Same," I whispered as I stared out the window at the passing cars.

At my apartment, Briya and Fallon were waiting with one of Uncle Ollie's pizzas. Inky ran over to me and weaved between my legs, meowing loudly. I scooped her up and kissed her furry head. "I missed you, too."

"You'll call me if you need anything?" my dad asked anxiously.

"Yup. I'm seeing you tomorrow for dinner, and I promise not to die before then."

"Don't say that!" he admonished me. "No drinking tonight, goosey. Remember what Doctor Morris said!"

"No booze, no strenuous activity, and very limited screen time," I told him, repeating her orders.

I had a concussion in addition to a cracked skull, which was why screens were out. When I first saw myself in the mirror of my hospital bathroom, I almost fainted. They'd shaved an area of the side of my scalp for the line of sutures. Doctor Morris said it was healing beautifully and wouldn't be noticeable once my hair grew back, but it still deeply disturbed me.

My father left after telling the girls that I shouldn't stay up late, and I immediately set out to check for any evidence of Shawn's existence in my life. I knew this was stupid and irrational, but I needed to see for myself that he'd never been at my apartment.

"I'm going to get some water," I said as an excuse to look in the kitchen.

The coffee grinder and carafe weren't on the counter or in a cupboard, which felt like a stab to my heart. I then moved on to my bedroom, claiming I wanted to change into pajamas, and Shawn's hoodie was no longer draped on my chair. I leaned over and sniffed the pillow he'd slept on the last time I'd seen him and all I smelled was my laundry detergent. Then I picked up my journal and saw that the most recent entry was from June 15th, a few days before the fateful cruise.