Chapter 145

"Lucy! My mom is raving about the samosas and pakoras, as well as the little butter chicken cups your uncles made. She says they got the spices and heat just right," Briya gushed several hours into the reception. "All of the food is so delicious!"

"I'll pass that along to them when they come inside." They were currently out on the patio drinking beer with my dad, Shawn, and Brian, while my cousins made sure the buffet remained stocked.

"Thank you for throwing us this incredible wedding," Fallon said as she snuggled against her new wife. "And thanks to that awesome boyfriend of yours, too."

"It's been our honor and pleasure. You girls know I love you and always will."

We had a long group hug and then they went off to mingle with their guests. I wandered back to the buffet for some more party fare before helping myself to another glass of white wine. Jennifer was talking to Fallon's mom, and I was about to join them when Shawn wrapped his arms around me from behind.

"Can I have a bite of your food?" he asked.

"What's mine is yours," I replied as I turned and held my plate out to him. "Are you having fun with the guys?"

He took a scallop wrapped in bacon and popped it in his mouth. "Yeah, but I had to dip. If I stayed out there much longer, I'd get a little drunker than I want to be."

I laughed. "You're shooting for a certain level of drunkenness?"

"Not exactly. I don't want to struggle with performing the song for the first dance, since I just learned and need to concentrate."

At some weddings, the couple shared this special dance at the beginning of the reception. The girls decided that they wanted it later in the evening when everyone was well-fed and full of good wine and beer.

"I'm excited to hear it," I told him.

"You've been listening to me rehearse for weeks!"

"I know, but that was practice. I am looking forward to the real deal."

He reached for some more food and stopped himself. "I'll get my own before I eat all of yours. Can I get you anything?"

"A mini-calzone would be lovely if there are any left."

I watched as he walked away from me and sighed at how perfect he was. He'd ditched the suit jacket and had his sleeves rolled up, just like most of the men. I was now barefoot, so it's not like I was judging.

"It's nice to see you look at someone that way," my dad said as he approached me. "How's my birthday girl doing?"

"I'm very happy right now."

"Jennifer and I will probably leave early, if that's okay. We'll stay for the cake, because I love having the opportunity to taste my work, but I have to be at the bakery at four in the morning, so a late night isn't a great idea."

"I understand completely. Your girlfriend looks gorgeous tonight, by the way. She's been wonderful about chatting with the parents and other older relatives of the brides, who don't know many people here," I said softly since she was nearby.

"I feel very fortunate, Lucy-goosey. Now that you've found love, I'm sure you understand what a precious gift it is."

Shawn joined us with a full plate. "I'm going on a long run tomorrow. I think I've eaten my weight in party food."

My dad laughed. "It's good to indulge every once in a while."

Eventually people were eating less and drinking more, so the remaining platters of food were moved to the counter, and the dining table was temporarily put in the guest bedroom so that there'd be room to dance. This was Shawn's cue to start the song.