Chapter 73

Shawn was picking me up at around seven for our date, and I had time to kill since I'd showered over my lunch break. My outfit was laid out on the end of the bed, and I was under the covers in my ratty nightshirt writing in my journal.

So this is weird...after Shawn showed me the photo of his parents, my memory of them from my dream was gone. I literally could not picture what they'd looked like. Then when he kissed me yesterday, I lost the memory of our first kiss, which had been outside my hotel door after his birthday party. I remember the scenario, but I can't recall what it felt like. It's the tiny details that are drifting away.

Reality is erasing the dream.

I guess that's good. In fact, it might be for the best if it all evaporates, because I don't love the confusion the dream is causing me. I loved dream-Shawn with all my heart, but that doesn't mean I love real-Shawn. I can't love a person who didn't exist and then transfer those feelings to someone who looks, sounds, and acts like him. That's insanity!

DS was pretty hot to get in my panties, while RS is content with taking it slow. Is one better than the other? No. It felt great to be desired so much, but it also feels amazing to be valued for nonsexual reasons.

RS is open to talking about Camila. DS was not. I'm glad RS is more forthcoming.

DS would never have held my hand in public. I love that RS doesn't mind.

And I hate that I keep making comparisons, but it's hard to stop.

The timer in my phone started beeping which meant I needed to get dressed. I stashed my journal in the drawer of my beside table and went to my bathroom to do my hair and makeup first. I used my wand to make fat curls and then did my eyes with a dark gray liner, silvery shadow, and lots of mascara. My skin had a pretty glow from the outing the day before so I just dusted it with a little powder and added some highlighter.

I'd selected a pair of slim black jeans and a sleeveless lightweight sweater. I slipped on my favorite flats before choosing earrings and a necklace. It flickered through my mind that I'd bought some in dream-Brooklyn, but for the life of me, I couldn't recall what they looked like. I picked out rose gold pieces since they paired nicely with my maroon top.

Once I was satisfied with my ensemble, I sprayed my wrists with perfume and took a selfie which I sent to the girls. I'd told them I was seeing Shawn, but I didn't share anything about our conversation the day before.

Briya replied first.

Gorgeous!

Then Fallon sent a message a minute later.

Have fun and be safe

Shawn knocked right at seven and gave me a huge smile when he saw me. "You are stunning."

"Thank you! You look pretty great, too."

He had on loose tan pants and a short-sleeved linen button-down shirt in a pale green color. It was casual and comfortable in a bohemian-chic way.

After we got in his car, he asked, "Have you heard of Hunny? It's my favorite vegan restaurant."

"I thought you weren't vegan."

"I'm not, but I love good vegan food. To be honest, I am pretty inconsistent with my diet. Last night my parents served a bunch of things I normally wouldn't eat, so now I'm tilting the other way since I overdid it," he explained.

"No vegan fare at the Mendes house, eh?"

"There actually was some because of Aaliyah, but I couldn't resist the other stuff. Sometimes I have horrible willpower."