Chapter 102

Shawn and I arrived home from the cabin getaway late on Monday afternoon. We dropped our friends off first, and after unloading his stuff at his condo, we returned the rental car and picked up Inky at my dad's. By the time we walked through my apartment door, I was ready to eat a quick dinner and curl up in bed with a book.

"I'm starving," Shawn remarked after filling the cat bowl with dry food. "Are we cooking or ordering in? Or do you want to go out? We haven't had a date in awhile."

"I'd be happy with a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of milk."

He opened the fridge. "There's no milk, and we're out of gluten-free bread. I guess I could make myself some eggs."

My not-so-subtle boyfriend was making it crystal clear that he wasn't down to eat anything I had on hand. "Go ahead and order food while I unpack," I told him.

Ten minutes later, he appeared in my bedroom doorway. "Nothing sounds good. Wanna go to Lov?"

The very last thing I wanted to do was go anywhere, but it wasn't worth disagreeing over. "Sure, just let me change into something a bit nicer."

He smiled warmly. "I think you look perfect."

I was wearing a pair of old athletic leggings and one of his hoodies, which wasn't really appropriate for the somewhat upscale vegan restaurant he'd suggested, so I swapped out the casual attire for nice jeans and a sweater.

"What are you getting?" Shawn asked after we'd been seated at a table.

"I think I'll get the crispy mushroom burger with a side of fries. What sounds good to you?"

"I'm going to start with the rosé salad and then I'm thinking the mushroom risotto or maybe the coconut curry."

"If you get the risotto, I want a bite. I'm curious to see if fake Parmesan is any good," I told him.

Our server appeared and went over the daily specials before taking our drink order. Lov was known for their cocktails, but after a weekend of drinking, I needed something non-alcoholic. They didn't have Diet Coke, so I requested a water. Shawn ordered a glass of white wine that would complement the risotto he'd decided on.

"So tell me about the dream," he said casually once the server left to get our drinks.

I knew this was coming, but the question still caught me off guard. I'd given how I'd answer some thought, so at a least I was prepared. "The short version is that while I was in my coma, I dreamed about you, or more specifically, us. When I woke up, I was confused and thought you were my boyfriend, which is pretty embarrassing."

"What's the long version?"

"I guess it would be the details of the dream, which really aren't important," I told him.

"The details are what interest me, Lulu! Indulge me by sharing them."

Fuck. This was what I was hoping to avoid. "Well... it started with you inviting me to your birthday party which was in Brooklyn."

He held up a hand. "Hold on. What happened between June and August?"

"Nothing. You were on tour and I guess I was living my life. I only dreamed the significant stuff."

"So I contacted you out of the blue and asked you to come to my party?"

"Yep, and you flew me there and put me up in the hotel," I replied.

"That's honestly something I'd want to do if I really liked a woman, but I'd probably chicken out before asking her. What hotel?"

I fought the urge to lie since it was a place he'd stayed many times. I felt guilty knowing specifics about his life, considering I hardly knew him at the time of the dream, but I answered truthfully. "1Hotel."