Chapter 46

Shawn and I stared at the two distinct red lines on my test.

"I actually have fucking COVID," I murmured before holding up the other kit. "You should take this one."

He shook his head. "I'm asymptomatic right now, so I'll wait a day or two. In the meantime, it looks like we're quarantining together."

I did a quick search to find out the current guidelines. Apparently I needed to stay isolated for five days and then re-test. If I was negative, I could re-enter the world, but only with a good mask. If I tested positive, I needed to retest until I was negative, staying isolated until I got the good result.

"Are you sure you don't want to go home while you still have the chance?" I asked him. "Once you test positive, you're kinda stuck."

"If my options are to be alone in my condo or to be with you here, then the choice is obvious."

Tears started streaming down my cheeks for the tenth time that day, and Shawn responded by pulling me into his arms. "It's gonna be okay, baby. Let's get back in bed and finish the movie."

We started Erin Brockovich before the grocery order arrived, and we had an hour left. As we approached my bed, there was a knock at the door so we went to see who it was. When I looked through the peephole, I saw my dad.

"I can't open the door," I said loud enough that he could here me. "I tested positive."

He let out an expletive before saying, "I have a bunch of food for you. What else do you need?"

"We placed an order from Loblaws and it came, so we're good."

"We? Is Shawn there?" my dad asked.

"Yep."

"Thank the Lord! I was worried about you being alone. Is he sick, too?"

"We don't know yet. Everyone who was at my party needs to get tested. I know some might be resistant because they'll have to miss work, but this is important. I'm very uneasy about all of you working in food service and interacting with customers and employees today."

"I'll make some calls after I leave here. Listen, Lucy-goosey, if you need anything, you let me know. Okay?" I could tell from his tone that he was upset.

"Don't worry, Dad. I feel okay, just super tired."

"Go to bed and sleep! Do you want me to bring over the air mattress for Shawn?"

I looked at Shawn and both of us fought to keep from laughing. "He can sleep on my couch," I lied.

"That's impossible! He's too tall for that little loveseat. I'll be back later with the mattress and the electric pump."

Part of me wanted to just let him have his way, but the thought of my dad going to so much effort when it was completely unnecessary bothered me. "You don't need to do that. I mean it. He has a place to sleep."

"Oh." He'd figured out what I meant, apparently.

"You need to go get a bunch of tests."

"Okay, I love you, sweetie," he said.

Once he was gone, I opened the door and saw three reusable grocery bags filled with food. "Unfortunately, no one knew you were here so I doubt you can eat any of this," I told Shawn.

"We got some things from the store and can always place another order. Plus, I can bend my rules a little as long as I don't eat gluten."

We carried the bags to the kitchen and unpacked them.

"Tomato soup! Can you eat that?" I asked.

"It's not my fave, but yeah, I can eat it. It's puréed, right?"