Chapter 42

Shawn and I had been sitting in my car for ten minutes. "Should we go in?" he asked.

"I do this every year. I stay here until I work up the mental strength to deal with my birthday."

He gave me a kiss on the cheek. "I thought my accidental immersion therapy helped this morning."

"It helped me accept how you handled my birthday, but it's different with my family. They're a bit much."

He glanced up the street at my Uncle Sal's house. "You're scaring me."

"You should be afraid."

"C'mon...your dad is the nicest guy in the world and Max is a sweet kid. I can't believe everyone else is drastically different."

"Individually everyone is great, but when they are all together it's nuts. There are so many strong opinions, and sometimes arguments break out. Everyone loves to tease, too, so you need thick skin. I'll try to run interference if you are being picked on."

"This is going to be quite a night," he chuckled.

"If you want out of our relationship at the end of it, I totally understand." I then climbed out of the car and started towards the house. Shawn caught up to me and took my hand in his, which made me feel a little better.

The door opened before I could knock and my Aunt Ellie beamed at me. "Happy birthday, Lucy! Who is this handsome man you've brought with you?"

I rolled my eyes. "You know who he is. The whole family has been gossiping about Shawn for months."

"Oops! Bobby said to play it cool like no one knows you are a couple." She turned to Shawn, "Welcome to our home! Come on in so I can introduce you to everyone. If you forget anyone's name, don't worry."

Ellie ushered us inside and did one of those earsplitting whistles people do by putting their fingers in their mouths. "Lucy and Shawn are here!"

Everyone started shouting 'happy birthday' at once and I forced a smile and waved to my family. After the formality of greeting me was out of the way, my uncles and aunts swarmed Shawn. Each person shook his hand and introduced themselves.

"Glad you could come," Uncle Sal said. "Do you hear what I put on the stereo?"

It was hard to make out anything over the loud voices, but when I focused I could hear Shawn's voice singing It'll Be Okay, which made me cringe internally. Why did it have to be a song about his break-up with Camila?

Shawn smiled graciously. "It's always nice to hear one of my songs."

"One?" Sal guffawed. "I made a whole playlist! We're extremely honored that you're here."

Aunt Delores patted Shawn on the cheek. "I made a special dish just for you. It's chick pea pasta with marinara. I hope you like it."

My Uncle Lou barged in. "We're honored as long as you're good to our little Lucy. If you hurt her again, you'll be in trouble."

"Okay...enough of that," I said as I shot my uncle a glare. "Shawn never intentionally hurt me. It was a big misunderstanding."

Ollie was up next. "Can you sign a headshot for me to hang in the pizzeria? I'll put you right next to Alan Thicke. He used to come in for my calzone when he was in Toronto, God rest his soul."

"I'd love to. Your vegan crust is fantastic, sir. It's the best I've ever had," Shawn said.

"Don't 'sir' me! We're practically family!" Ollie told him.

I pulled Shawn out of the foyer and into the living room where my generation was congregated. The guys were trying to play it cool like they weren't impressed by having a celebrity in the house, though Max made a point to say he already knew him, as if they were old friends or something. The girls were staring at Shawn like he was a double cheeseburger and they hadn't eaten in over a week.