Chapter 85

My heart was beating rapidly as I took the sheet of white paper from Shawn. I'd regretted signing it in my dream, but what if declining was a dealbreaker for our plans? Was it worth taking a stand? I inhaled deeply and started reading the NDA.

Only that's not what it was.

The document in front of me was from a clinic and showed negative test results for a variety of sexually transmitted diseases.

"I thought you should see this since I was with someone over the summer," he explained. "You looked like you saw a ghost when I pulled the paper out. Are you okay, honey?"

"Sorry, I was confused for a sec. Thanks for showing me. I was tested when I went on the pill and haven't been with anyone. I'll log onto my account with the doctor so you can see the results," I said as I took my phone from my purse.

He shook his head. "No need. I trust you."

"Can I get a glass of water?"

"Of course. There's Flow in the fridge, if you'd like that."

"Tap water is fine with me. I'm a girl with simple needs."

Shawn got me a glass and I filled it at the sink before drinking the whole thing. I was still shaken from the NDA confusion, and the cold water made me feel slightly better.

"Can I get you anything else? We still have half a bottle of Shiraz left over from dinner."

I smiled at him. "I'm good, thanks." Then a thought occurred to me. "I don't want to get super high, but do you have anything that might mellow me out?"

"If you're anxious about tonight, we don't have to do anything."

Closing the gap between us, I placed my hand on his heart. "I want to have sex, but the first time with someone you care about it scary. I can't explain why, but hook-ups are less stressful."

He nodded thoughtfully. "I agree completely. I've got a blend that's indica-heavy, so it should be calming. The worst that could happen is you fall asleep."

"I don't want that!"

"We can share just a couple hits from a bowl." He went into a cupboard and pulled out a small glass pipe and a mason jar with weed. Then he ground up the buds and lightly packed them in the bowl. He held it to his mouth and lit it, and I watched with fascination as he closed his eyes and deeply inhaled the pungent smoke before passing the pipe to me. "Keep your thumb on that little hole in the side," he directed when he saw me holding it wrong.

He lit it again, and I drew a breath but immediately started coughing.

"I take it you don't smoke much?" he asked as he patted my back.

"Never. What did I do wrong?"

"You took a big hit and tried to inhale it too fast. Go slower, like this." He demonstrated it for me.

I tried again and still coughed a little, but I knew I'd inhaled by the feeling in my lungs. Almost immediately, a sense of serenity filled my mind and body. "Oh my god. That was quick."

Chuckling, Shawn said, "That's why I prefer smoking to gummies or edibles."

We each took one more hit and then he put the pipe by the sink. He took me by the hand and led me to the sectional sofa where he sat down. I climbed on his lap and his strong arms wrapped around me, making me feel safe and warm. Then he leaned his head forward so that our noses were touching. "I'm fucking crazy about you, Lulu," he said softly.

It was a good thing I had a relaxed high going on, because otherwise I might have burst into tears of happiness. I couldn't adequately respond, so I kissed him to let him know the feeling was mutual, and the smoky taste in our mouths was strangely arousing. He pulled me even closer as the kiss intensified, and things accelerated from there.