Chapter 6

The flight from Toronto to New York was short, which was almost a shame since I loved being in first class. Shawn arranged for a driver to pick me up, and as I leaned back into the leather seat, I told myself that it was going to be a fun night but that tomorrow I'd return home and my normal boring life would resume.

The black SUV pulled in front of 1Hotel and the driver opened the door for me before grabbing my solitary bag. I handed him some American cash, which I'd gotten at an ATM in the airport after I landed, and thanked him for the ride. Stepping in the hotel, I looked around at the beautiful modern lobby. It had an industrial feel with poured concrete walls, galvanized steel light fixtures, and simple blocky furniture.

"How can I help you?" the pretty woman behind the check-in counter asked.

"Hello. My name is Lucy Atwood and I believe there's a room reserved in my name," I told her as I searched through my emails on my phone for the confirmation number the travel agent sent me in case she needed it.

"I just need to see an ID, Ms. Atwood. There's already a credit card on file for any incidentals and a note saying that you are to help yourself to the minibar."

Shawn's generosity was overwhelming. "Thank you." I handed her my drivers license and a second later she returned it to me. I leaned a little closer and asked, "I'm going to a party tonight at the rooftop lounge. What do people wear to things like this? I brought a couple options, but I don't know which is best."

I could tell she was smiling behind her mask. "As you know, it's a private poolside birthday party, which generally means you don't need to wear anything formal. I'd go with a cocktail dress or even some flowing pants and a dressy top. I'm sure some guests will wear jeans, so if you want to go for a casual chic look, that's fine, too."

Essentially it was like the cruises I worked, which was a relief. "Thank you. Will it be chilly on the roof tonight?"

"I doubt it. We're in the middle of a heatwave and the temp only drops maybe fifteen degrees after the sun sets."

"Good to know. Thanks again," I said before picking up my bag and proceeding to the elevator.

My room was on the fifth floor, and the first thing I noticed was the breathtaking view of Manhattan. I set my bag on the luggage stand and looked around, spotting a bottle of champagne chilling in a silver stand. The party wasn't for several hours, so I popped it open and filled one of the glass flutes. My king room didn't have a tub, but a cold glass of bubbly in a hot shower was exactly what I needed to relax.

I shaved and washed my long hair, enjoying the feeling of the steam on my skin. When I was done, I bundled up in the plush bathrobe and walked over to the window to enjoy the view again.

"I really should have taken him up on the offer of two nights," I lamented out loud. I wasn't going to see the city at all since my flight home was at noon the next day, but I planned to walk around Brooklyn in the morning. His offer to have coffee may have been in jest, but I hoped not.

I unzipped my bag and pulled out the three outfit options I'd brought. One was a dark blue minidress with wide straps and a plunging back that I borrowed from Fallon. I had plenty of dresses for my job on the Queen, but I didn't want to wear my work clothes. The dress was great, but I'd have to go braless. I fingered the bodice and was relieved to find that it had an added layer in the breast area so at least my nipples wouldn't be protruding all night.

The other dress was something I picked up at a consignment shop the day before. The salesperson said it was from the late fifties and that it might have been a prom dress. It wasn't sexy at all, but it was super cute, a gorgeous shade of rose, and it fit me perfectly. Wearing something vintage would make me stand out, and that was the last thing I wanted.