Chapter 134

"Are your eyes closed?" I asked through the crack in my bedroom door.

"Yes! Can I finally see you?"

I'd kicked Shawn out of the bedroom after I'd finished my hair and make-up so that I could get dressed alone and surprise him with my pretty outfit.

"Keep 'em closed until I say," I said as I carefully walked into the living area. "Okay! You can open them."

He gave me an appreciative smile as he looked me up and down. "Goddamn! You are smoking hot!" Then he saw my shoes. "But I don't think you should wear those heels."

"I'll be fine since I have a big strong boyfriend to hold onto."

"Maybe something just a little lower? I love the look, but you've told me many times that you don't even like high heels," he said.

"Tonight is a special occasion, and I don't have anything else that goes with this outfit."

I had on a pink halter dress from my party girl days. The portion covering my boobs was tiered, and then it was form-fitting below. Typically, it would be too cool for this time of year, but the heatwave made it the perfect choice. My shoes were nude strappy heels with pearl detailing, which matched the femininity of the dress.

"Let's look in your closet. Surely something else will work," he suggested as he walked towards the bedroom.

"Or you could let me wear what I want!"

He stopped in his tracks and let out a frustrated sigh. "Lucy...you frequently use a cane when we're out in public. If you can't walk on your own, then you should not be wearing shoes like that! What if you fall and hit your head!"

"Fine! Go find me shoes that you approve of!" I crossed my arms on my chest, upset with both Shawn and myself because the bottom line was that he was right. Wearing heels was a risk. There was more to my annoyance than that, and it wasn't his fault, either. I was worried that the proposal might not go as planned and my two best friends would not be able to get past that. The idea that they could split up was weighing heavily on me.

Shawn returned a few minutes later with a pair of silver flat sandals. "I like these and you'll be safer."

I sat down on the couch to take off the heels before tossing them aside and putting on the stupid sandals. It ruined the ensemble, but there was no time for a complete outfit change. Standing up, I said, "Satisfied? All I wanted was to look good for you tonight."

"You're just as beautiful in these shoes, baby." He gently pulled me into his arms. "I prefer you in flats anyway because when I hold you, your head nestles perfectly under my chin like this." He demonstrated what he meant.

"Stop being so cute."

"I can't help it. Your hair looks gorgeous, by the way."

I'd done a loose up-do with wispy strands framing my face to make my scar slightly less visible. As it healed more, it would fade, but for now I needed to work with it.

"Thank you. We need to get going or we'll be late."

"Are you mad at me?" he asked.

"I'm mad at life. I wish I could hurry up and be my old self again," I answered sadly.

"You need to be patient with your body as it heals. You've come a long way already and before you know it, this will be nothing more than a memory."

That was easier said than done, but I appreciated the sentiment. "I'm also worried about the proposal," I admitted to him.

He pulled me tighter against his body. "You need to have faith in Fallon's judgement that this is the right time, and you need to have faith in their love. No matter what happens, you'll support them both."