Reading is Fundamental: Part One

You fall to the couch with a tired huff, closing your eyes to give yourself a few moments of utter peace. You're not sure why, but Joanna has had a hard time sleeping these past few days. It's like she doesn't want to go down when it's time, and you end up staying up with her the entire night. You tried using your magic on her, but the more she grows to learn and understand yours, the less she is affected by it.

Sam and Dean have been working their ass off trying to hide from Dick and his Leviathans. You travelled across the country just to get away from him, and only when they thought it was safe to stop, they stopped at an abandoned house to squat in. Motel rooms are too risky right now knowing that Dick is looking for you and his package.

There is no power, no running water, and no working utilities. Sam and Dean want to know what's inside of the hunk of rock Dick tries so hard to dig up. You're about to fall asleep when you hear Joanna scream for you. You groan and open your eyes, looking at Sam and Dean who aren't paying attention to you or her.

"Sure, I'll get her," you state.

"Let her cry it out. She'll tire easily," Dean shrugs.

You ignore his comment and walk over to the room where Joanna is. She used the side of the crib to help her stand, and her face is red from screaming. The second you walk into the room, she raises one hand to ask to be picked up while the other hand holds onto the railing to keep herself up.

"Are you kidding me? You can't go to sleep?"

Joanna whines some more, but you pick her up nonetheless. She wraps her tiny arms around you and lays her head on your chest. When she feels the comfort of your arms around her, she quiets her cries.

"You're a handful sometimes."

You bring her to the main room where Sam and Dean are all set up. They have tools, safety glasses, and a few lights set up to see what they're doing. You take a seat on the couch and pat her back, trying to get her to fall asleep. Sam puts the case on the table while Dean puts a duffel bag on the ground. Sam opens his laptop while Dean opens the case. No one is saying a thing, but everyone works together in sync.

"That's a lot of fuss over a caveman Lego," Dean says, staring at the hunk of clay.

"Yeah. Well, whatever Dick wants is bricked up inside that."

Dean removes a mallet out of the tool box and hands over a pair of safety glasses to himself and Sam. You're good from where you are across the room, so you don't need one. Plus, you'd blast any kind of shards away from you and Joanna if needed.

"Alright."

Dean hits the clay once and thunder claps in the sky. You frown and look out the window behind you to see it not even raining. That's ominous. Dean hits the clay again and this time, thunder claps and lightning flashes brightly.

"Does that sound like someone saying, 'No, wait, stop' to you?" you ask.

"Yeah."

"Yeah," Dean says at the same time as his brother. "Oh well."

Dean hits the clay several more times. The more he hammers away, the more the lightning and thunder pick up. You look down at Joanna to see her eyes drooping. She isn't scared by the noise or the lights, and you're grateful she can sleep with this noise. Dean finally breaks the clay open, and that's when bolts of lightning rain down from the sky as eerily as they can. Dean removes a stone tablet from the mess on the table.

"What the hell is it?" you ask.

"Some kind of stone tablet. I'm not sure what it means."

"Can we figure it out tomorrow morning? We're both exhausted."