The Slice Girls: Part One

To celebrate your little girl's six-month birthday, you decided to do something you know Dean will no doubt hate. You have Sam's support on this matter, but Dean will take a lot longer to get on board. You did mention to Dean about getting a dog since you saw that dog interact with Joanna when you went looking for Sam. It was the case involving Amy Pond. He said he didn't want a dog, but you saw how happy Joanna was when the dog went up to her.

You can tell she really wants one. Or maybe you do. Nonetheless, you're getting one.

You went to the local animal shelter since you just got done with a case a few days ago. Instead of going all the way back to your dad's cabin, you decided to stay in town until the next case comes up. You wanted to go to a shelter instead of a pet store or through a breeder because you know these animals deserve as much love as those other ones.

You're just excited to add to your family.

You enter the animal shelter with Joanna in your arms and a smile on your face. The woman at the front desk puts away the book she's reading when you enter.

"Hello. How're you doing today?"

"Doing well. We'd like to adopt a dog today, if possible."

"Of course. Let me show you the kinds of dogs we have. What are you looking for?"

"I'm not sure. I'm sure I'll know when I know."

The woman quickly signs you into the logbook before taking you to the back where there are tons of dogs barking.

"We have all kinds of dogs--small, big, furry, clean-shaven, loud, and quiet. You name it, we probably have it. I'll let you look around and if you find the one you like, just find me in the front."

"Anything else we should know about them? Do any of them bite?"

"We have one Rottweiler that doesn't like people that often. He was brought in only a few weeks ago. He doesn't really like anyone going near him. He nearly bit one of our staff's hands off trying to feed him."

The woman leads you to the area that he is in. It's a full-grown Rottweiler that is lying in the corner. He looks up at the new people but he doesn't move from his spot.

"What's his name?"

"Zeus. He's only three-years-old. He's in good health and has no underlying issues."

Joanna coos when she sees the dog, and you bend so she can stand on the ground with your support. She presses her hands to the metal bars and smiles widely, and Zeus gets up from his spot in the corner. He approaches Joanna slowly and carefully, sniffing the ground as he goes along. When he understands that Joanna isn't a threat to him, he sniffs her hand before licking it. She giggles and coos as she reaches out to him.

"He bites people?" you ask and look up at the woman.

"This is the first time he's ever done this. He must like her," she chuckles.

"What do you think Joanna? Should we get him?"

Joanna squeals in response, and you pick her up with a smile.

"We'll take him."

You take an hour to sign paperwork and understand the responsibilities of caring for a dog. You had one when you were younger, before your mom died. You know exactly what to do to take care of one, but you let her explain it to you anyway. Once that is all completed, you grab the leash that the woman hands off to you. Zeus is silent and by your side but looking up at Joanna the whole time.

You can tell he is going to do everything he can to protect her despite only meeting her today.

You bring Zeus into the car after hooking Joanna into the car seat. She is enthralled by the newest member of the Winchester family. He won't leave her side even as you pull away from the shelter. It's a short drive back to the motel room and when you get there, you're thankful that Sam and Dean aren't back yet. They are out getting food right now since you begged them to go get your favorite meal.