Welcome home

Army AU
Request from bento__boxx (Sort of)
(T/W injury and mentions of war)

Alex had been waiting exactly 304 days for George to return home. Now there was only 4 more hours until he came home, and every time he thought about it he wanted to cry. He'd missed the man so much these past 10 months.

George had been deployed to Iraq almost 10 months ago on a "peace keeping" mission. George had been on many deployments before, but he'd never been away this long and with so little communication, Alex was finding it extremely difficult and he assumed George was too. The couple wrote each other letters, Alex sent care packages for his boyfriend and they shared the odd phone call on a crackly line. But that's was it, that was all they got.

Being an army boyfriend was difficult at times, especially during deployment. When George had first told Alex he wanted to join the army they were just two young teenage best friends and even then Alex had cried his eyes out. He was scared for George all the time, the not knowing if the love of his life was okay almost killed him sometimes.

But what Alex did love was coming home days, the feeling those days brought could almost make up for the months apart. The days he got to go to Georges army base and stand and wait for his plane to land. When all the wife's, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends and families would wait on the tarmac for their soldier to return. Alex shed happy tears every single time he saw a child run into their parents arms.

This time was no different, in fact Alex was even more excited this time. The extra months of longing for his boyfriends return had only made their impending reunion more exciting. Alex was physically shaking with excitement as he and a few of the military spouses he'd befriended these past years waited for their soldiers return.

"That's their plane Alex!" Mia gasped as a military plane approached the airspace above them,
"Oh my god it is!" Alex whispered as he began to feel tearful. Mia grabbed his hand and smiled as her own eyes welled up with tears. The two had become friends as their boyfriends were in the same platoon and therefore almost always went on the same deployments. They were each other's support when George and Will weren't home.

Before Alex knew it the plane had landed and he was watching as the men and women filtered out of the plane door and walked toward their families and lovers. He spotted Will in the same moment Mia did and watched as she dropped her bag ran towards him, the two embraced and Alex couldn't help but let out a smile for his friends.

He looked away from the pair and turned his attention to scanning the crowd for his boyfriend. He was beginning to get nervous, normally George and Will would come off the plane together, but George was no where to be seen. Alex's head was spiralling, what if George hadn't made it back at all ? what if he was severely Injured ? and nobody had told him... or worse what if he'd died out there ?.

Alex was panicking now and he quickly found his way over to Georges second Lieutenant, a man he recognised well from past coming home days and social events.
"Excuse me Sir my boyfriends one of your men... George Andrews he's supposed to be here but I c-can't see him" Alex gulped his voice breaking slightly as he held back tears.
"Andrews... Andrews... ah yes you must be his beloved Alex... Alex he was injur—" the man begun to explain. But Alex hadn't heard the rest of what the man said because he'd spotted George getting off the plane and now he was running across the tarmac towards the man.

"Georgie" Alex cried as he leaped into the man's arms. The tears were spilling out now as George wrapped his arms around Alex's waist and pulled him close.
"Baby... I missed you so much" George smiled as Alex buried his face into the man's neck.
"I-I couldn't see you and Will has already come out and I was worried something really bad had happened to you" Alex sniffled into Georges neck.
"No... I'm okay Alex... I love you" George responded, letting out a hiss of pain as Alex adjusted his position.

"W-what's the matter?" Alex asked as he lifted his head to look at George. He noticed healing cuts on the man's face and immediately unwrapped himself from the man's waist and stood next to him.
"You're hurt aren't you?" Alex whispered as he touched the man's face gently.

"Only a little bit... I'm okay I promise" George smiled as he pulled Alex in for another hug.
"What happened love?" Alex asked as he intertwined their fingers.
"There was an explosion last week... a bomb hit the town we were in. I was thrown up in the air a bit... there was a lot of shrapnel... my uniform saved me" George explained. Alex knew that he was referring to the heavy duty jackets and trousers they wore in the field.

"Oh Georgie... let's get you home... I'll look after you" Alex smiled as he kissed the man's lips.
"Can we stop at McDonald's?" George asked his smirk clear.
"Of course we can! Anything for my wounded soldier" Alex replied with a giggle. The two walked, well George more hobbled, back to their car. Alex of course keeping a close eye on George and helping him into the car.

By the time they approached a McDonald's George was fast asleep in the front seat of the car and Alex decided just to continue on home. When they pulled up to their house he carried all Georges stuff inside before he opened Georges side of the car door. He kissed the man's forehead and smiled, he really had missed the man and was so glad to have him back.

"George, we're home let's get you inside yeah?" Alex whispered as he unbuckled the man's seat belt. George mumbled something as Alex took his hand and pulled him to his feet. Alex wrapped an arm around Georges waist and allowed the man to lean against him. They made it to their bedroom, George with his eyes still shut.

"Okay babe let's get this uniform off you it can't be comfy" Alex smiled as he helped George pull his trousers off.
"I love you Al" George mumbled, his voice heavy with sleep.
"I love you too" Alex smiled as he pulled the  hem of Georges shirt up. Alex gasped under his breath when he saw the bandages on his boyfriends chest obviously covering an injury from the explosion George had mentioned earlier. 

Alex sighed and took his boyfriends shirt off completely and helped the man to lay down on the bed, covering him with the duvet as he did so.
"Get some rest okay? You're exhausted" Alex smiled when he saw George's blue eyes looking back at him.
"Cuddle? Missed cuddling you" George whispered. Alex couldn't deny the man and crawled into bed next to him, the two intertwined their bodies, fitting together like a puzzle.

Alex hadn't even been tired until now. Maybe the months of sleepless nights worrying about George were finally catching up with him. Now having the man back by his side fast asleep meant he could finally catch up. They were both only at peace with each other.

"Welcome home Georgie" Alex whispered as he closed his own eyes.

~Authors note~
1.2k words
This is so bad lmao I have no idea where I was going with this