Why do you only call me when you're high?

T/W Drug addiction and vomiting

Alex's phone was ringing again.

It was 3 am and the phone had been ringing non stop for 2 minutes. He decided he should probably answer it because someone would only ring that many times this early in the morning if it was really important ... right?

He fumbled about in the dark for a moment trying to locate where the ringing was coming from. Finally he grabbed his phone off the side table and flipped it over to read the screen. In that moment Alex's heart almost stopped beating, for what felt like an eternity.

George.
His ex boyfriend.
The only person he'd ever truly loved.
The man he'd tried his hardest to forget and move on from these past few months.
George was calling him.

He paused for a moment, his finger hovering over the answer button, he knew it was probably a bad idea. Excepting your exs calls at 3 in the morning could hardly be a good thing... Could it? Fuck it. What did Alex have to loose.

"Hello?" Alex asked quietly.
"A-Alex y-you answered.... I-I've been c-calling for s-s-so long" George said, his voice slurred. Alex knew what had happened, the familiar slurring in Georges voice told Alex all he needed to know.

"What have you taken George?" Alex asked his voice remaining calm despite the panic that was rising in his chest.
"I'm sorry Alex.... I'm s-so sorry..." George cried.
"It's okay... what have you taken George I need you to tell me" Alex sighed.
"I t-tried to stay c-clean... I really did b-but I couldn't" George mumbled.

Alex's heart was breaking, they'd been here before it was all too familiar.
"George where are you? Can you come to my flat? Do you know where you are?" Alex asked the panic leaking out slightly.
"H-home? You.. I come home?" George asked.
"Yes George come home please, back to the flat" Alex stated, trying to ignore the fact George still called the flat they once shared home.
"Okay... I f-fucking l-love you Al" George mumbled.
"Just come to the flat please" Alex sighed.

George ended the call and Alex flopped back onto his bed letting out a groan. Letting your ex back into the home you once shared was probably the one thing you weren't supposed to do. But Alex couldn't just leave him alone, god knows where, high on whatever he'd taken that night, because some part of him still loved the man and probably always would.

Alex didn't realise how much time had passed until there was a knock at the door. He got up and mentally prepared himself to see his ex boyfriend for the first time since their break up. Alex opened the door and was greeted by the sight of George collapsed on the floor in tears. The man's hair was dishevelled and his clothes looked dirty, Alex couldn't help but notice the dark circles that sat under the man's bloodshot eyes.

"Right George get up... come on" Alex said softly as he held a hand out to the older man.
"A-lex" George whispered as he stood up almost falling as his body swayed. Alex grabbed the man's waist and guided him inside and shoved him onto the sofa.

"Drugs? Again George? Really? I thought you were done with that shit" Alex complained as he sat down next to the man. He knew it was probably a bad idea to attempt to lecture the man whilst he was still high, but he couldn't help it he was so upset.
"-m sorry Al... I tried but I can't... I just... I needed something" George cried. Alex sighed and stroked the man's thigh.
"Look we'll talk about this tomorrow okay? Just lie down and sleep this off" Alex hummed as he helped the man take off his coat and shoes and lay down. George nodded slightly and closed his eyes, falling asleep almost instantly. Alex grabbed a blanket and lay it over him, before leaning down to kiss the man's forehead, an action he knew he'd probably regret tomorrow.