Nightmares

Alex and George aren't together yet but....
yah know cute besties who are in love with each other

George was woken up by the sudden need to go to the toilet, he got out of bed and walked to the bathroom. He went to the kitchen to get a glass of water before he went back to sleep and that's when he spotted Alex sitting on the sofa staring blankly.

"Al are you alright?" George asked walking towards the man. Alex didn't answer him he just continued staring off into the distance. George placed a hand on Alex's shoulder making the younger man jump.
"Fucking hell George, you scared the shit out of me. What are you doing up?" Alex asked rubbing his eyes.

"I came to get a drink. Are you alright Al you're a bit out of it" George said, he noticed Alex looked drained and his skin was pale with dark circle under his eyes.
"I'm fine George" Alex tried to make it sound believable.
"Mmmm okay just get some sleep yeah?" George said not convinced Alex was telling the truth, he smiled and gave Alex a side hug. Alex nodded and stood walking back down the corridor to his room. George followed him and watched as he flopped onto his bed.
"Night Al" George whispered shutting the door behind him and returning to his own room.

Alex felt bad for lying to George but he didn't want George to worry. He knew he would worry if Alex told him he couldn't sleep at all and hadn't done for weeks, due to the terrifying nightmares that plagued his mind.
Alex decided to try again to sleep hoping this time he wouldn't wake up crying or screaming.

George feel back asleep as soon as he got back into bed. Alex however had become afraid to sleep, meaning he was fighting the urge to pass out, eventually his body gave in and he fell into an uncomfortable sleep.

Later George woke up hearing Alex scream, he jumped out of bed in a blind panic. He ran straight into Alex's room seeing the man pale and sweaty and tangled amongst his sheets.
He observed for a moment as Alex thrashed on the bed, nosies of fear leaving his body.
George realised what was happening, Alex was having some kind of nightmare, his heart dropped seeing how scared Alex was.

George sat down on the bed and reached out to touch Alex's shoulder he retracted his hand. He seemed to remember someone telling him not to wake someone when their having a nightmare... or was that sleep walking? He couldn't remember. Georges train of thought was interrupted by Alex screeching and sitting bolt upright. Alex's breathing was rapid his body was shaking and his vision still hazy.

"Alex are you okay sweetheart? You were screaming" George said sympathetically, as he rubbed Alex's damp back with his hand. Alex shook his head and started to cry.
"N-no" Alex choked out. George leant towards the younger man and pulled him into a hug.
"Oh Al what's wrong hun?" George whispered, rubbing circles into Alex's back.

Alex tried to tell George what was wrong but he couldn't even get two words out his breathing was rapid and he couldn't control it anymore, he begun to panic even more. George shushed Alex, kissing his forehead and rocked him from side to side as they hugged.
"Al you need to breathe, take a deep breath you're okay..." George said his voice soft. Alex exhaled shakily into George shoulder.

"You feel better now?" George whispered.
Alex nodded and lifted his head off of Georges shoulder and looked at the man. George smiled at Alex, brushing the younger man fringe off of his face.
"What's going on with you then? You look terrified your poor thing" George asked. Alex took a deep breath and brought his knees to his chest.

"Had a nightmare" Alex whispered. George hummed and placed his hand on Alex's knee.
"Yeah I can see that... but Al you've looked exhausted for weeks... Al I'm going to be honest you look ill darling" George told him truthfully. Alex sniffed as rubbed his face, he sighed and looked at George.
"I keep having nightmares... I've had them every night for weeks... G-Georgie I'm scared to sleep" Alex muttered, holding back tears.

"You wanna tell me about them" George asked rubbing Alex's back. Alex nodded weakly, letting a tear slip down his face.
"T-they're horrible, y-you keep d-dying and I-I can n-never save you and it's always messy and scary and I-I hate it... I just w-want it to stop" Alex whispered, wiping the tears off of his face. George sighed watching Alex cry, he leant forward and pulled Alex towards him.
"Oh Al it's okay" George hushed. Alex dried his eyes and yawned into Georges shoulder.

"Are you tired?" George whispered. Alex nodded slightly.
"I'm really fucking tired Georgie but I can't sleep... I just can't... I'm scared" Alex whimpered.
"You want me to stay with you... you think that will help" George asked. Alex pondered for a second and nodded. George cast his eyes to Alex's sheets they were damp with sweat, poor lad must have been terrified.

"You wanna come to my bed, your sheets are damp your really sweaty" George said trying to be sensitive to Alex.
"Yeah please" Alex whispered. George stood up and reached his hand out for Alex, who grabbed it and walked behind him towards his room. Alex flopped onto Georges bed closing  his eyes. George lay down next to the man.

"Want a hug? Might help you sleep" George said nervously. Alex nodded and patted the bed next to him, George lay down looking at Alex, who grabbed his hands and held them in his own.
"You can sleep I'll be here when you wake up I promise" Georges whispered brushing Alex's hair with this finger.

Alex bit his lip nervously.
"I can't sleep George... I just can't... every time I close my eyes... I just" Alex sobbed.
Georges pulled Alex towards him and rubbed his back with one arm and wiped his face with the other.
"Oh love, you're gonna be so sick if you don't sleep. I know you're scared but I'll be here... I'll protect you I promise" George muttered.
Alex nodded weakly and shuffled towards George.

"Hug me please" Alex whispered. George nodded and pulled Alex towards him allowing him to rest his head on his shoulder.
He held Alex close to his chest and wrapped the duvet around both of them and ran his hand through Alex's soft hair. Alex yawned against him and snuggled his face into George.
"Thank you Georgie you're the best friend ever" Alex mumbled quietly. Georges smiled and hummed in response continuing to rub circles into Alex's back.

The room was silent for a while, Alex was calmer now he was tucked into Georges chest wrapped safely in his arms. He finally felt like he might be able to sleep peacefully, George really did make him feel safe. Alex felt himself drifting into a comfortable sleep for the first time in weeks and it was all to do with George and how he made him feel.

George looked down to see Alex, his hair messy his petite arms wrapped around Georges torso. Georges heart fluttered seeing the beautiful boy was fast asleep, he was glad Alex was finally getting some sleep.
"I love you so much Alex, you're so fucking beautiful" George whispered. He meant it so much, he really did love Alex all he wanted was to protect the younger man.

What George didn't know was that Alex wasn't fully asleep yet and had heard everything George a had just said. He pulled himself closer to George and intertwined their legs.
"I love you too" Alex whispered barley audible. He didn't think George had heard him but he had, he kissed Alex's forehead as a way of recognising Alex's words. They loved each other and that was all that mattered.

~Authors note~
Awww I'm gonna die of cuteness 🥺