Life hurts

Sometimes life just hurt. Hurt for no reason at all. Everything would be fine one minute and the next Alex felt like his life wasn't worth living. Nothing even had to go wrong, his mind would just switch to sad and he'd find himself crying in the dark in his room, blasting some depressing mixture of songs into his ears.

That's where Alex found himself this morning, sobbing his eyes out for not reason, listening to a playlist aptly named 'songs to cry to at 1 in the morning'. He couldn't pin point exactly why he was crying but he'd started and he couldn't stop... life was just painful today.

George couldn't sleep, the room was a little to warm, the bed sheets weren't quite soft enough and his clothes clung to his body in just the wrong way... his brain wouldn't shut off. He opened his laptop and clicked off and on different apps before finally settling on Spotify. Music normally settled his brain when he felt like this, it was actually Alex's idea he suggested after George had tried explaining what was wrong to him.

George had thought Alex wouldn't understand what was wrong when he explained to him that what was irritating him were such minuscule seemingly unimportant things. But he had understood or at least tried to when George explained that today the lights felt to bright and his favourite shirt felt slightly different than normal and the cushions on the sofa dug into his back in just the wrong place.

Alex was always there to help him when the small things were a problem. He was always there to find George clothes that sat right and was always there to hug George when the room felt too big for some unknown reason. Speaking of Alex the little blue circle next to his name on the Spotify friend activity tab signified the younger man was still awake just across the hall.

He shuffled his own music and cast his eyes over to see why Alex was listening to. 'Prom queen' he had no idea what that was so he just assumed it was one of Alex's odd indie songs. 10 minutes later and George was watching as what Alex was listening to changed, each song sounded sad... supermarket flowers... two of us... painkiller. George wondered if Alex was okay... was he sad, because that's what the music suggested.

He thought for a moment before convincing himself that he was over thinking everything, like normal. But the longer he sat there thinking about Alex's music choice... the more his brain worried about the man. Maybe he could just check on him, then he'd see that he was okay and then he could go back to his own room and worry about other things.

He climbed out of his bed and toward his door, he crossed the landing and stoped outside Alex's door. He placed his hand against the door debating what to do next, he opted to press his ear against the door. He's listened for a moment before he realised there was a soft broken sobbing coming from the other side. He was right Alex was upset, and he was crying alone in his room.

Without hesitation with pushed open the door to Alex's room and stepped inside. He was met with a sad sight, Alex laying face down on the bed his body shaking with each sob. George felt his heart break as he looked at his best friend crying his heart out in front of him. A sigh left Georges body he didn't know what to do... so he did the only one thing he could do in the moment.

He climbed onto the bed next to Alex and lay down facing the man with an arm laying over his back. He rubbed the mans arm gently with one hand and used the other to push the mans hood back to reveal his tear stained face. Alex opened his eyes and let out another sob as he saw his best friend. George silently shuffled himself closer to Alex and wrapped the younger man in a hug.

Alex buried his face into Georges shoulder as the man wrapped him in a tight hug, putting pressure on all the right places to calm him down. George moved one hand and took Alex's headphones out, disconnecting him from the sad music and bringing him back to reality.
"Hey hey... I'm here Al... I got you" George hummed as the man cried against his shoulder.

They stayed like that until Alex could control his breathing, George rubbing circles into the mans back as he hushed him.
"G-George I'm s-sorry" Alex whispered, as he sniffed back his tears.
"Why are apologising Alex? You haven't done anything wrong" George hummed as he twiddled a strand of Alex's hair in between his fingers.

Alex took in a deep breath before lifting his head slightly to look up at George.
"I-I woke you up" Alex sniffled as he lay his head back down.
"No you didn't" George begun as he wiped a tear from Alex's face with his thumb and sighed.
"Couldn't sleep... the room was too warm, and the sheets were too- I don't know and my clothes weren't sitting right" George said as he let out a deep breath.

Alex adjusted his head to look at George again and nodded.
"Small things again?" Alex questioned.
"Yeah small things... what's up with you? You're pretty worked up" George asked a question in return. Alex bit his lip to stop it from trembling as he felt tears welling in his eyes again. The truth was he didn't know what was wrong he just wanted to cry... he just felt sad.

"I-i don't know" Alex sobbed, he was crying again. George didn't respond he instead kissed Alex's forehead and brushed his cheek gently as he whispered almost inaudible words of comfort. When Alex calmed down enough for George to speak to him again his head was pounding and his body was exhausted.

"You just feel sad yeah?" George asked. Alex nodded against the mans shoulder where his head was once again resting.
"It's okay Al... it's okay to just be sad sometimes, you don't always need a reason" George hummed, still stroking Alex's back gently. The two stayed like that for a while longer until the deafening pounding in Alex's head subsided enough for him to speak again, even if his voice was somewhat croaky.

"T-thank you George" Alex whispered.
"Don't thank me Al it's what I'm here for... I love you mate" George smiled in response.
"Love you too" Alex whispered.
"How do yo feel now?" George questioned gently not wanting to set Alex off again.
"Bit better but my head killing me now" Alex sniffled, as he wiped his eyes with his sleeve.
"I'm not surprised darling" George giggled lightening the mood slightly.

"Here Al... sit up for two seconds" George muttered as he began to sit up. Alex obeyed scrunching his eyes shut as his head spin slightly. George wrapped an arm around Alex shoulder and pulled him to lay back down before sitting back up himself.
"Don't leave" Alex mumbled sadly.
"I'm not don't worry... just sorting the duvet out" George smiled as he lay back down and pulled the duvet round the two of them.

Alex smiled as George lay in his side facing him, the older man opened his arms.
"Want a cuddle?" George asked, Alex nodded and moved into the mans arms. 5 minutes later and Alex was practically wrapped around Georges torso with his head resting on the mans chest. George had both arms sound Alex's back underneath his hoodie as he gently brushed the bare skin.

The younger of the two had finally fallen asleep after a long night of upset. Georges presence had made life hurt less and made everything feel better. So the two lay together in Alex's bed their bodies intertwined finally at peace at least for now they had each other and that's all that mattered.

~Authors note~
1.3k words
Ugh memeullexx my beloved
Sorry bout the phat break I have a new habit of starting like 8 things and not finishing any of them lol