Chapter 77

Seventy-seven
______________

Amara shuffled through the library, pulling book after book out of the shelf, feeling Pansy's eyes burn into her moving body.

"Maybe the healer is right- maybe your mother hallucinated and talked about a girl at school," the raven-haired girl said carefully, "Our parents hurt a lot of people during the war,"

"No something tells me that there is more," Amara replied, pulling another book out of the shelf, "I think it's someone from my family,"

"Wouldn't you know about someone named Lea when it's a close relative- haven't you already read every single book in here?" Pansy frowned.

"Maybe I didn't-" Amara mumbled, setting the stack of books down on the table and standing in the middle of the room surrounded by three aisles left and right.

"What are you two doing in here?" the girl jolted, their heads snapping to the door.

"Nothing," Amara smiled.

"Nothing?" Theo frowned.

"Boring school stuff," she added, "How was the meeting?"

"Not very eventful," he lied and went on to change the subject, "Dinner is ready,"

"I'll be there in a minute," Amara had a smile glued to her face waiting for her brother to leave the room before it dropped and she let out a sigh.

"Why didn't you tell him? Maybe he knows something" Pansy pinched her brows.

"No, I don't think he does and besides... I don't even know anything to tell him so It's better this way,"

"I see your hatred for secrets only goes one way," Pansy cocked a brow, pursing her lips.

"He never tells me anything either. I just returned the favour," Amara stared at her friend with a tight smile. They left the library and made a right, following the short corridor to the front door.

"Or you're applying double standards," Pansy said.

"Shut up, Parkinson," Amara mumbled, pushing her away playfully.

"Parkinson- ouch," Pansy exclaimed sarcastically, pressing her flat hand against her chest, "You know I'm right,"

"Goodbye Pansy," Amara said with a forced smile, watching her leave out the front door.
____

Amara spent the next three days every minute of visiting hours in the hospital next to her mother's bed. With each passing day, her mother's skin seemed paler and her hair more frail.

Her father came multiple times over the day, every possible minute he could spare. Theo and Daphne came twice, spending hours with Amara.
Today she came alone, reading a book about their family history.

All the time she didn't spend in the hospital she buried her head in books.

Day and night her mind was occupied. Which was a good thing — less time to feel the shattered heart in her chest.

"Hello Amara,"

She jolted, jumping off the chair, "Pardon, I didn't mean to startle you," he added.