Chapter 42

Forty-two
_______________

Draco woke up the next morning in an empty bed. He sat up, stretching his arms.

No sign of Amara.

His shirt was laying on the floor and if her dress wouldn't have been laying on a chair in the corner of his room, he would believe he just dreamt everything that happened last night.

It was a lot yesterday and it meant everything to them.

They can move forward —together.

He got dressed quickly and as soon as he opened his door the smell of freshly baked biscuits filled his nose.

It smelled like Christmas, for the first time in years. Draco's mood was exceptionally good now, first yesterday the big step forward they made and now the feeling of Christmas caressing his body.

When the blonde arrived downstairs he heard muffled chattering and laughter from the kitchen.

He leaned against the door frame that led into the kitchen, watching his mother and Amara standing at the kitchen island — baking together.

He smiled seeing both of them this happy. Amara's hair was up in a messy bun with a few strands falling into her face. She brushed them away leaving the flour off her hands on her face. She was wearing his t-shirt. There was flour all over it.

Her cheeks were rosy from the heat of the oven,

"It's rude to stare, Draco," Narcissa said, cracking an egg open.

"Sorry," he mumbled.

"Good morning," Amara smiled, stirring the dough.

Draco slowly approached the two women, grabbing a still warm biscuit.

"They are good," he mumbled with a biscuit in his mouth. His hand covering his mouth.

He reached for another one but Amara slapped his hand away.

"Stop eating them, other people might want one too,"

"I just had one," he protested.

"You can have some more when we're done," she said with a smile.

"Fine," Draco muttered and rolled his eyes, getting himself a coffee.

"I'm all good here, dear" Narcissa smiled, taking more biscuits out of the oven,

"You two should have some breakfast,"

"Oh no, I love baking. I always do it with my mum too and besides biscuits, as breakfast works perfectly for me,"

"No no I cannot send you home without a proper meal," Narcissa smiled. Draco wondered when he saw his mother smile that much the last time.

"Alright- I'll go wash my hands real quick," Amara said looking at Draco who leaned against the kitchen counter to the right, with a cup of coffee in his hand. Amara quickly left the kitchen.

"I'll be here," Draco said, taking a sip of his coffee.

"You did the right thing," Narcissa said when Amara was gone, still focused on the baking process.

"Huh?" Draco was confused about what she was referring to.

"Leaving Pansy like I told you..." Narcissa explained still not looking at her son.

"I didn't leave her because you told me," Draco muttered, rolling his eyes.

"Still... it was the right thing to do," Narcissa said, turning towards him. She stepped closer to him and laid her hand on his cheek.