Chapter 73

Seventy-three
________________

A mist of darkness covered the sky the next morning. The halls that were once filled with joy and laughter got replaced with sadness and tears. Everyone knew what happened and everyone knew who did it.

They whispered things to each other, pointing fingers at Amara and her friends.

It was her boyfriend who let them in and her head of house who killed their beloved headmaster. It's not a secret anymore to what side they all belong to — not that it ever really was.

However, Amara didn't notice. Her mind was too occupied to bother. Not that she would care if she did notice.

She poked around in her scrambled eggs. Her head resting on her palm, staring at her plate. McGonagall replaced Dumbledore as headmaster and announced that parents will pick up their children tonight so that everyone will be home by tonight.

"How are you?"

Amara hummed. The only response she made since last night. She cried bitterly. Not because Dumbledore died but because of the expression on Draco's face when he looked at her.

He was gone. She saw it. Everything good was gone and he left. He didn't even say a word. His blank and empty eyes had been the only thing on her mind since then.

How much it pained her to see him like that. She didn't know how to feel. Amara didn't know if she ought to be mad or sad if she should be happy or disappointed. He lied to her and used her but she didn't know if she really cared.

If she was honest with herself, she knew something had been going on for the past year. That he had a secret for months, that something was off. She let him be, simply trying to ignore his sneaking around and all the lying.

Amara figured she couldn't blame him for lying or having a secret. He couldn't have told her something like that. She knew that.

After crying for hours she felt empty too. Her inside resembled the eyes that haunted her in her dreams last night. Something inside her felt off like there was an emotion she had to feel but couldn't find out what it was.

She hoped some sleep would give her clearance but it didn't.

"Amara," someone shook her.

"Huh?"

"I asked how you are feeling?" Daphne asked and reached for her friend's hand over the table.

"Good," she shrugged.

"Have you heard from Draco?" Theo asked who sat next to his sister.

"Like he ever tells me anything these days,"

"You didn't know?" Pansy frowned.

"I suspected something was going on but I never thought it would be this," Amara mumbled and sunk back into her thoughts.

For a moment her eyes drifted to the Ravenclaw table, catching a glimpse of Blaise holding a crying Luna.

Amara didn't know what to do, what to feel or what to think. Everything hurts and Draco was once again the reason for her pain yet she worried about him.

Despite the fact that he used her, a thought that made tears swell up in her eyes again, she worried. She wanted to hold him, hear his voice and see his smile.

She always only ever wanted him.

A hand clasped hers, leading her out of the hall. Everything felt numb and blurry to her.

"Your boyfriend did that!" loud shouting and a bright light pulled her out of her trance. Her brother stood in front of her, his wand pointed at the young Gryffindor.