Chapter 44

Forty-four
_______________

It was Christmas Day but the Christmas spirit was crushed by last night's events.

No one was really in the mood for family celebrations at the moment. Theo's father broke him and Amara felt guilty about being the reason for it.

Their mother knew about the constant tension between Theo and his father but she didn't do anything about it, she defended him —yes but she never protected him, not in the way a mother should.

Amara's plan to wake up next to her boyfriend was wiped from her mind yesterday when she saw her brother crying on the floor.

It shattered something within her, it always tore her apart when he had to endure her father's temper.

Her father lost his temper only once with her when she didn't become prefect. After that, he treated her like something precious and fragile that would break any second. He felt guilty for hurting her, a guilt Amara hoped he would feel when it comes to Theo too but he never did.

Amara woke up next to her brother, their bodies tangled together.

He held her close, her head resting on his chest and his arm wrapped around her. Her hair tickling the bare skin on his neck and arms

He inhaled her scent, her hair smelled like apples —being close to her, feeling her body heat was always the one thing that calmed him the most.

Since they were children they showered in each other's comfort.

It was the comfort Theo needed the most right now.

"Merry Christmas," he whispered in a hoarse voice, stroking her hair.

"Merry Christmas," Amara mumbled into his chest.

"Sorry I ruined your romantic time with your boyfriend," Theo said quietly, continuing to stroke her arm.

"We both know you're not really sorry," Amara teased. She looked up at the dark-haired boy and smiled cheekily.

"Back to cocky, good to know," he laughed and untangled their bodies. She knew he wasn't fine but he was trying to be strong. He was always so much stronger than her.

"I'm always there for you Theo," she sighed, sitting up on his bed. It hurt her, drained her body of everything cheerful and happy being the reason for his pain.

And the fact that she was helpless — broke her even more.

"I know," he smiled and disappeared out of the room to go to the bathroom.

Amara took a deep breath and left the room as well — walking to her own.

She felt sore, every step making her feel the effects of last night. However, this was a pain she was happy to feel again.

Amara carefully opened her bedroom door and peeked through checking if he was still sleeping but her bed was empty.

Disappointment washed over her exhausted body and a sigh of disappointment left her lunges. Her wish to lay back down in her bed with him was crushed.

She closed the door behind her and walked to her dresser.

She slipped a crimson red bra and pink knickers on, searching her drawer for her Christmas Pyjamas.

"That is a sight I could get used to," Draco smirked, coming out of the bathroom.

Amara jolted, not expecting him to be here. Stupid for her to think he wouldn't be in her bathroom but her mind was tired and exhausted and she was not able to think that far this early.