Bucky Barnes- Small Town: Part 2 (c)

You turned to Bucky, confused by how he hadn't denied the assumption of the stranger to him. He offered you a warm smile, cocking an eyebrow at your confused expression.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Why didn't you tell her we weren't in a relationship?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "Everyone in this town seems to think we suit each other well, so I didn't see the point in disappointing her. It's far more uncomfortable to explain to her that we aren't in a relationship rather than pretend for a moment. Am I really that repulsive that a simple lie would offend you?"

Your cheeks became redder at his words. You shook your head at him, not having considered it from that perspective.

"No, it doesn't offend me for people to think we're in a relationship."

The two of you continued over to the table that you had been heading off to before starting the conversation with Sarah.

"Everyone does seem rather invested in our relationship," Bucky commented. "Your mother certainly thinks that we are meant to be. She already seems to be thinking about grandchildren, from the conversation she had with me before we left."

You felt mortified. You had begged your mother to not speak to Bucky, especially when you weren't there but clearly in the minute it took you to pop to the loo, she had ignored your pleas.

"I'm really sorry about her," you apologised. "I didn't mean for her to overstep boundaries, but she hasn't got any sense of respect for other people's thoughts and lives."

He chuckled at your comment but fell silent as he noticed where the pair of you had paused beside the table. Bucky looked up and you followed his gaze to see the mistletoe hung above you.

"Maybe there is a higher conspiracy to get the two of us together," he laughed.

"We don't have to... it doesn't... it doesn't really," you couldn't manage to get any words out that made any form of sense.

Bucky took a step closer to you, closing the gap.

"If you don't want to kiss me, then I don't mind. But I thought you knew that I liked you as more than a friend," he stated.

It felt as though your heart had leaped from your chest.

"No... I never knew... are you serious?"

He nodded his head.

"I like you too... as more than friends."

Bucky grinned down at you, moving his hand up to cup your cheek before leaning in to kiss you, just as you had desperately wanted since you had known one another.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.