Chapter 13 Queen in waiting

Vara strode down the hallway with sturdy steps. She had quickly changed into a simple house gown, glad to part with the more traditional wear for court that had been mandatory during the festivities this week.

Now that Darius had left, things could go back to normal. Or… almost normal. It would take some time for her to get used to Ariane.

Vara nodded at the servant, that stood poised at the door in front of her, and waited for him to knock. A moment later he stepped aside for her to enter.

Vara walked into the room and curtsied for Caius and Euridice. Only when she rose, she noticed the other occupant in the room. “Forgive me,” she said, “I did not know you had company.”

“The lady Ariane has accepted our invitation to have breakfast with us,” Euridice said kindly.

Vara curtsied again. “I will return at some other time.”

“Nonsense,” Caius said, “come Vara, child. Join us.” He reached out his hand, “come and greet me.”

She carefully crossed the room and kissed his cheek. “My lord Caius.” She then moved to his wife. ”Lady Euridice.”

“Good morning, Vara,” Euridice smiled.

“Sit child,” Caius waved at a servant to bring another chair. He was glad to see Vara. It would distract him from what would have been a rather dull morning. Ariane was a well educated and polite young woman, but she didn’t have that same spark he adored in Vara. He doubted Ariane would engage him in a debate about the philosophers of old or a game of chess.
It hadn’t taken him long to notice the difference between the two girls.

Ariane would make a good wife for Cyrus. She would be able to support him and comfort him if she ever found the courage to speak her mind. But Vara had the makings of a queen. She knew how to poise herself. She was perceptive.

“Tell us, child,” he spoke, “what brings you to our door this morning?”

“I came to seek advise, my lord, Vara spoke, “but I did not mean to intrude.” She glanced at Ariane, who sat there, quietly watching.

“And what is it you need council for?”

A small smile appeared on Vara’s lips. She eyed the man amused. “Forgive me, sire, but it is your wife’s council I seek.”

Ariane’s eyes went wide. Did Vara truly dare to speak this way to the former king? But the man did not even seem to mind. He chuckled softly.

“Then go ask her advise. I’m sure the lady Ariane won’t mind.” He looked at Ariane questioningly.

“Of course not, my lord,” Ariane said with downcast eyes.

Euridice smiled at Vara kindly. “What is on your mind, dear?” She prayed it was not about Cyrus. That conversation would only cause a stir.

“I would have gone to the king, my lady,” Vara said, “but I don’t want to distract him from his tasks.” She glanced at Ariane. “I’d like to go to Dalós to aid my friend. Her mother has fallen ill and she could use my help. She will marry soon.”

Euridice nodded in understanding and patted Vara’s hand. “What do you need from  me, child?”

“I need the king’s permission,” Vara said, “but I don’t know how to ask him.”

The elderly woman studied her for a moment, thinking about the request and what the girl had not said. She suspected that Vara’s sudden request to visit her home village had only partially to do with the wish to help her friend. She believed the main reason was to avoid Cyrus until the wedding. But with Ariane present, they could not openly discuss the matter.