Chapter 38 A game of charades

Gossip.

It had always been a part of daily court life. She couldn't even count the times she had been the subject, but each and every time she had laughed it off. The stories people came up with!

Most of it was harmless. She herself had shared quiet giggles with Ophelia on occasion, jests behind someone's back, harmless little nonsense.

Gossip she could handle.

Rumors were a different matter.

Rumors held an ounce of truth.

Now heads turned when she walked the halls. Whispers followed her wherever she went. Looks of sympathy from those that pitied her. Satisfaction from those that had always eyed her with disdain.

Yet no one spoke of it to her directly.

Rumors held an ounce of truth.

And no one wanted the truth.

Ever since that incident with Felix over a week ago, she hadn't been able to sleep well. Whatever Riccardo had said to the king, it had resulted in Felix leaving his quarters at the palace and his father disowning him. She hadn't heard where he had gone, but he had enough friends in the city to seek refugee there. Vara didn't want to think about his whereabouts, though she worried about repercussions.

She hadn't confronted Iason yet, though Riccardo's words wouldn't leave her alone. She liked Iason. He was a good friend and she had come to rely on him. She wouldn't mind marrying him, except for the fact that he knew she had feelings for Cyrus. It wouldn't be fair to him.

If Riccardo had mentioned anything to the king, the king had not taken action. She wasn't sure what to think of it.

She wasn't sure about anything anymore.

She had seen little of Cyrus. Not that he hadn't tried to talk to her. It just seemed that every time he approached her, someone else got in the way.

Like now.

Vara had entered the great hall where the family usually entertained guests and friends. A large group had gathered around Cyrus and Ariane, congratulating them and wishing them well.

Ariane's illness had turned out to not be illness at all.

Vara almost turned around again to leave, but when she crossed looks with Cyrus, his eyes begged her to stay.

She couldn't resist.

Quietly she moved to the side of the room, unwilling to mingle with the courtiers. She listened to the laughter and conversations and felt an ounce of despair. Such a cruel fate life had chosen for her.

It took a long time for Cyrus to be able to excuse himself. Slowly he wound his way towards her and leaned in her direction. "Walk with me," he said quietly.

They moved around the room, away from the other occupants, so they would not be overheard.

"This role I have to play is suffocating me," he muttered annoyed, "all I want is to spend time with you, but this whole situation is making it impossible."

"Shouldn't you be happy?" Vara asked flatly, "the kingdom will have its heir."

"I know," Cyrus said stiffly, "but I wanted to have that heir with you."

Vara closed her eyes. "Don't say such things," she begged softly.

"I can't help ow I feel, Vara."

Vara sighed and glanced around the room. Most people were cooing at Ariane or softly conversing amongst each other, but a few were casting curious glances in their direction. "We should return to the others. If we stay like this, they'll talk."