Chapter 30 Private conversations

Her entourage was scattered all around the room, consumed by their own activities. Vara mostly ignored them. She knew she was supposed to 'entertain' the young ladies that visited court, but it seemed her presence alone provided enough entertainment.

It was really just her company they were after anyway, something they could brag about to their friends at home. As if being in the same room with her gave them some sort of status.

She didn't even know most of these people. And some, like Giulia, who had disappointingly enough remained at court, she didn't care to know.

A few of the women were quietly conversing with each other while working on some creation with thread and a needle. Others were playing board games. At the window, Juliette was focused on her drawing while her sister arranged flowers in a nearby vase. In the background, musicians were playing their instruments.

Vara let out a heavy sigh and continued looking out of the window.

Iason, who was standing at her shoulder, leaned towards her. His voice was barely above a whisper. "Is there something you need, my lady?" He could see she was distracted.

Vara smiled and shook her head. "I just don't like gatherings like this," she answered quietly, carefully making sure no one would be able to overhear. "It's all just pretense. I'm just doing what's expected of me. Look at them. They are all occupied with their own activities. What difference would my presence make? If I left now they wouldn't even notice."

"Then why don't you?" Iason asked curiously.

Vara pulled a face. "They might not notice, the king would surely hear of it and he will not be amused."

"Can't you feign illness?"

An amused smile appeared on Vara's face. "You, my friend, are a bad influence."

Iason answered her smile, a teasing glint in his eyes. "I doubt that would be possible with all the stories I've heard about your whereabouts."

His comment made her laugh. She was glad he wasn't so reserved anymore in her presence.

Her laughter caused some of the ladies look up at her expectantly. "It seems something amuses you, lady Vara," one of the women spoke.

Vara recognized Giulia's voice and resisted the urge to scowl. "Indeed it does," Vara nodded and she smiled politely.

"Would you mind sharing it with us?" Giulia continued.

Why the girl still wanted to get into her good graces was a mystery to Vara. She disliked Giulia, but either the girl was oblivious to that fact or she just did not care. Perhaps she still wanted to get close to Cyrus.

Vara kept a polite smile. "It was a private joke, lady Giulia. I did not mean to disturb the rest of you."

Giulia's smile turned catlike and her eyes narrowed just the slightest bit. Most likely she still held a grudge for what happened with her dress when she thought Vara was a servant. "You make us curious lady Vara."

Vara's smile grew wider, but didn't reach her eyes. Her expression became a little colder. "If you insist. My guard was commenting on something that reminded me how a mistaken identity can lead to trouble. I will not bore you with the details, but it was quite funny." Satisfaction rippled through her when she saw Giulia stiffen, a light red tinting the girl's cheeks.

Behind Vara, Juliette was stifling a laugh, having heard the story from Iolaus when he had stayed the night before traveling to Tirèze.

She wasn't the only one trying to hide amusement.