Chapter 45 Boncini

The Boncini estate was truly lovely and Vara immediately felt at home. She and Iason both had been unsure how to manage the estate. They had been relived to leave it in the capable hands of the king's steward while Vara took care of instructing the household staff and Iason handled the stables and mews as well as the guard.

From day one, Vara had told the staff to not be so formal with her. It had taken them some getting used to, but after a period of a few weeks, everything had been settled in place and they had grown comfortable around each other.

The first guests had arrived too. Ophelia had visited and also Riccardo Prias and his wife Priskilla.

Seeing as how Boncini was located in the hills, close to the border, the estate was also responsible for the nearby regiment that patrolled there. As landlord, Iason had to make regular visits and report back to the king.

Vara smiled as Iason walked through the door. "How did it go?"

Iason shook the rain from his hair and sighed. "I'm still not used to being in command of men. I was always the one following orders and now I have to give them. I'm not even a captain."

"The men aren't complaining," Vara smiled while handing Chloe a stack of linnens to put away. "If anything, they are proud of you."

Iason shook his head bemused and planted a kiss in her hair. "What have you been up to?"

"Making arrangements," Vara answered, "we'll be leaving to visit your family soon. I want to make sure everything is in order here. I was thinking we could visit Valais too. It is nearby and I haven't seen Juliette and Celia in a while."

"Of course," Iason nodded, "I had expected as much."

Vara nervously straightened out her dress.

Iason smiled at her. "Don't worry, they will love you."

"They are your family, Iason," Vara said, "I need to make a good impression."

"Just be you," he told her, "and don't be afraid to tell off my little brother. He's a real charmer."

Vara laughed. "I consider myself warned."

...

"Lord Iolaus."

Iolaus halted his step and turned towards the soldier that was half hidden in the shadows. "Who goes?"

The soldier stepped forward and glanced around cautiously. "May we have a word in private?"

"Vincenzo," Iolaus recognized the man, "what is it? Is there a threat to the prince?"

"No my lord," Vincenzo said, "I wish to speak to you in regards to another matter, regarding you request."

Iolaus frowned in thought for a moment. He wondered what request this soldier was speaking of. "Please be more clear," Iolaus said, "forgive me. I am not sure which request you are referring to."

Vincenzo wetted his lips and nodded. "The request regarding our brother in arms. You asked us to investigate."

Realization hit him and he stepped closer to Vincenzo. "You know who attacked Iason?" It had been months since the incident. No lead had been found as to who had attacked him, but the soldiers hadn't given up the investigation.

Vincenzo nodded seriously. "We do, my lord." He had narrowed his eyes. "Some of the men, they were on leave. They went into town to have a few drinks in the inn. They heard a few men talk, my lord. They were bragging about a sword they acquired a while ago, bearing the royal crest." He paused and looked at Iolaus more intensely. "They spoke of the man that hired them, a young lord, fallen out of favor, willing to pay good coin for revenge. They were told to leave their target alive and make sure he knew who had given the order."