Chapter 58 Retaliations

The rider had arrived late in the afternoon. It was clear he'd had a rough journey. His horse was lame, the rider's clothes were sticky with sweat and mud, and blood dripped down his face and arm. Most of all, he was exhausted, but he still had forced himself to relay his message before passing out.

Balor had struck down hard. The fortification North of Boncini had been attacked. The last line of defense was fighting hard to keep back the enemy, but soon they would be overrun. If that happened, Balor would have access to some of the main roads of Zeir. They were in desperate need of aid.

Several riders had been sent out. Three of them had made for Boncini, but he was the only one that had survived. His comrades had fallen prey to the pursuers. He was not sure if Vertalis in the North had been reached, nor Genvi.

Vara and Iason had immediately given instructions to take care of the rider and his horse. A fresh rider from the garrison of Boncini had been sent to Auros. Iason had gathered some of the soldiers and prepared to ride out.

It was already deep into the night before arrangements had been made.

The situation was dire indeed. The fortification was a full day's ride. There was no telling what they would find.

Iason stooped down from the back of his horse and kissed Vara. "Pray we make it on time."

"I pray for your safe return," she answered instead. She could understand his fear. His brother was stationed in that regiment. She stepped back and watched the riders rush towards the battlefield. A feeling of unease came over her.

Another attack. She wanted to ease her worries, but these attacks were so close lately, despite all the precautions king Marcos had taken. She missed Eudemas more than ever, but her friend had married the tailor's assistant and now lived in the village near Boncini, though she visited frequently.

It was strange not to have her maid around every day after so many years. Eudemas had been a trusted friend. She still was. And if she ever needed a friend, it was now.

She flinched when hands landed on her shoulders. "Forgiveness, my lady," Chloe said, "I did not mean to startle you." She pulled her night robe closer around her to shield her from the chilly night breeze. "You should go inside, my lady," she said quietly, "there is not much else you can do at this point."

Vara sighed and rubbed her eyes. She was so tired. It had been a long day. "I know," she said, "I just... have this feeling... something bad is going to happen."

"Lord Iason is a good soldier," Chloe tried to comfort her, "and a good rider. The men that ride with him are also well trained. They will keep him safe." She gently took Vara's arms and steered her towards the house. "Please come inside. You'll catch a cold." She nodded at a sleepy looking Lykander who stood in the doorway. Lykander nodded back and locked the door behind them.

Vara shivered. "How is our guest?" she asked.

"We treated his wounds," Chloe informed her, "gave him warm food and spiced wine. He is asleep now."

"The boys took care of his horse," Lykander added, "it was mostly exhausted. With proper rest, the leg will heal just fine."

"Good," Vara nodded in relief, "what about..."

"In the morning, my lady," Chloe spoke, "you should rest now."

"Yes, but..."

"Everything is taken care of, my lady," Chloe said, "please take some rest. Lord Iason would not approve if you neglect yourself. "

Vara took a deep breath and nodded. "Yes, thank you, Chloe. You are right." She force out a smile and headed for her room only to please the girl. She already knew she would not be able to sleep.