Chapter 25 Into the deep

The journey into Tireze had been mostly dull and hot. Cyrus wiped his forehead again and let out a heavy breath. "How do people stand the heat?"

Torcan was quick to provide the answer. "People stay inside their homes when the sun is at its peak, prince Cyrus. The houses remain cool thanks to the stone. When people do need to leave their homes, they carry sun shields."

Cyrus frowned. "It is unbearable. I would almost wish for rain."

Torcan laughed softly. "Trust me, prince Cyrus, when I say that when the rainy season starts, you will beg for the heat to return." With the rain came mud and with the mud mosquitos. It wasn't something to enjoy.
He sighed and let his eyes wander over the landscape. He had missed his home.

"You must be glad to be home," Iolaus had slowed his horse to side up with Torcan, "it has been a while."

Torcan nodded. After being taken as a child, he was always glad to see the sands of Tireze, though his family home wss far up North at the foot of the mountains. Salvire was a wealthy house with a vineyard and mews. It had been years since he had been there. He wondered how his younger brother was doing. He must be fourteen by now. The last time he had seen Mikos, his brother had been an infant. He probably wouldn't recognize him now.

His duties didn't leave him any room to return to his family. Darius was very demanding and Salve was too far from Tirzé for his family to visit court. Besides, his father had a province to rule. He couldn't afford to leave his home.

Torcan smiled sadly. Witnessing Iolaus greet his family only made Torcan miss his own home more. "We will arrive in Tirzé by nightfall if we keep this up," he said.

"Good," Cyrus growled, "I could use a bath."

"I am certain Darius will have made arrangements to accommodate you all," Torcan answered, "he will be sure to return your hospitality." His eyes roamed the road ahead. People were coming out of their houses to watch their entourage. Children gasped and pointed at Cyrus. Adults were whispering. As the large group passed, the people fell to their knees and bowed their heads.

Torcan sighed sadly at the clear sign of hunger in the land. Hopefully this alliance would change that. He turned to Cyrus. "Prince Cyrus, if you wish we can take a rest here. The village has a deep well. We can water the horses here and haul water for the rest of our journey." They still had a few hours to go and not many opportunities to fill their water skins. "We can rest in the shade of those buildings."

Cyrus thought for a moment and nodded. "Very well. I trust your judgement." He turned his horse. "We rest here!" he called out. He heard relieved sighs all throughout the company. He himself could use a break as well. No matter how much he would like to soak in water and clean the sweat and dirt from his body, he wasn't looking forward to another meeting with the Tirzé prince. So every minute he could postpone his visit would be welcome.

***

Vara trailed her fingers through the fountain as she listened to the musicians she had invited. Ophelia and Eudemas were sitting nearby in the small inner garden. It had been an uneventful day since she wasn't allowed to leave the palace grounds. She had sent one of the servants to the village to ask about Eunice's mother, Antonia, and had received word that nothing had changed. Antonia was still unresponsive. Vara wished she could visit her friend, but the king wouldn't let her leave without a guard. He had never bothered with that before, but after what the king had told her about the decree he had put up, she understood his reasoning, even if she wasn't happy with it.

Perhaps she could try to escape her guard by distracting him. She knew the king would expect a report on her whereabouts. Her safety was only an excuse for him to appoint someone to watch her.