Chapter 35 Between love and duty

The morning was spent with the princess Elvira. After she had uncomfortably and stiffly apologized for her behavior the previous night, they had set on a walk in the garden that were greener than even the gardens in Zeir. There were so many flowers and trees and ponds, that even Darius was impressed. He could understand now why the girl had called Tireze stuffy and barren. Compared to this, he really did live in a desert.

But as lovely as the gardens might be, the conversation was not blossoming at all. He had to draw out every answer and the girl looked like she'd longed to hide herself away, probably in the corner of her beloved library.

Aside from that, she seemed on the verge of tears the entire time.

It didn't help that Darius had to fight to be polite to her. He didn't feel inclined to comfort her. She was seventeen after all. Too old to act like a child. It was time for her to put her bookrolls and scrolls behind her and start acting like the daughter of a king.

No, this one was not suited to be his wife. All of Tireze would mock him if he brought back this child.

He was glad to drop her off at the palace again, and she all but fled from him.

Lunch was spend with Elora. It surprised him how well she carried herself. There was no sign from the smart mouthed girl from last night. Instead, she was polite and charming. She poured wine for him and asked him how he enjoyed his stay so far.

No mention of her behavior the prior day, nor his response to it.

When Darius was cutting his meat, the doors to the salon opened and the youngest princess shuffled in. She walked up to her sister and looked at her expectantly.

Elora smiled at the young girl. "What is it, my sweet?"

"Will you read me a story?" Elena asked.

"I have to share stories with our guest now," Elora said kindly, "why don't you ask Elvira? She knows many stories."

Elena pouted. "Elvira only knows boring stories, about ships and birds and plants."

"And what about Eloise?"

Elena shook her head. "She doesn't want to tell stories. She says she's busy looking for a dress to wear so the prince will like her."

Elora bit her lip to keep from laughing. No doubt Eloise would be mortified if she found out Elena had said that in front of prince Darius. "Is that so?" she asked.

"Yes," Elena nodded, "and Eloni and Byron are not here, so there is only you."

"Hm," Elora put on her most troubled expression, "that is a serious problem indeed. You see, I have already insulted prince Darius twice. If I leave him alone now, even if it is to read to my favorite sister, then he might not like me at all anymore. So what should I do?"

"He would understand," Elena said seriously, "he is a prince."

Elora glanced at Darius who had put down his fork and was watching her carefully. She looked back at her sister. "Well then. If you are so sure, then you will have to ask him yourself."

There was a thoughtful frown on Elena's face and she turned to Darius. "Do you understand Elora has to read me a story?"

"Elena!" Elora gasped, "that is not the proper way to ask."

"Then what is the proper way to ask?" Elena questioned innocently.

Darius looked at Elora unimpressed. "I would almost believe you planned this, my lady, to escape from me."