Chapter 83 Until you lose it

He had ridden without a break ever since the news had come, only halting long enough to call for a fresh horse whenever his animal threatened to collapse from underneath him. It couldn't be true. This couldn't be happening. Everything had been fine when he left.

But that had been weeks ago.

How could everything fall apart so quickly?

Not halting at the gate, Cyrus rode his horse all the way to the palace steps where he dismounted and burst through the doors. A servant greeted him startled, but he barely even noticed. "Where is she?!" he demanded, "where is my wife?!"

More servants spilled onto the hallway, eyeing him warily or rushing out of the way as he stormed by.

"Cyrus."

His grandmother's voice made him turn and he looked at her anxiously. "Grandmother," he uttered in defeat, "a messenger came. He said... he said something had gone wrong with the child..."

Eurydice nodded gravely and held out her hand to him. "Come, Cyrus. We will talk." She wanted him away from prying eyes. No matter what happened, he was still the crown prince, and they couldn't afford to lose the support of the lords now. The situation was dire enough as it was. They needed Cyrus to keep it together.

Eurydice took her grandson's arm and guided him towards a side room where she directed him into a seat. Telling him everything would be hard enough.

"Grandmother," Cyrus said, "I don't have time for this. I came as fast as I could. She has suffered on her own too long already."

His grandmother drew a shaky breath and pressed his hands. "Cyrus. I need you to listen to me." She forced him to look at her and sighed. There was no easy way of telling him. "It started when Ariane was feeling unwell and she held bed, waiting for it to pass. A few hours later she woke up with stomach cramps and called for help." Eurydice looked down. "The physician confirmed she lost the child."

Cyrus nodded impatiently. He knew this already. The messenger had told him so. He'd been informed Ariane was ill with grief. It was what had made him rush home. He had barely given himself time to notify Darius. They were, after all, still at war. And he was in command of the army together with Darius.

But Ariane was his wife, Darius' sister. He needed to be at her side.

Darius hadn't hesitated to let him go, worried as he was for his sister. Cyrus knew the army was in good hands with Darius. And there were still commanders to represent Zeir.

"Yes, grandmother," Cyrus spoke, "I understand. I will be patient with her, let her know the fault is not hers."

"No, Cyrus," his grandmother continued grimly. Her face had gone pale and there was a deep sorrow in her eyes. "You do not understand. That is not all. It is true what the messenger told you. Ariane had fallen ill after losing the child. But after the messenger had already left, she took a turn for the worse. She turned septic. A poisoning of the blood, the physician says. There was nothing to be done."

When Cyrus stared at her uncomprehending, Eurydice sighed. Tears rolled down her cheeks. "Oh my boy. I'm so sorry. She is gone."

...

Torcan stared out over the plains surrounding Salvire. Last time he had been here had been on duty. This time he had the opportunity to walk around freely and take everything in.

He had forgotten how beautiful it was here.

A breath escaped his lips.

"Do you miss it?"