Chapter 91 A crown's weight

Two weeks after the council had been assembled, lord Vertus and lord Atoli were executed for treason. It was a public display. Death by hanging.

Giulia Atoli was to be wed to whomever the king decided on. Most likely this would be one of the soldiers that had fought at the border. In any case, it wouldn't be anyone of high position.

Deccus Vertus was stripped of land and title and now forced to do manual labor to provide for himself. He was being closely watched by local officials who reported directly to the king. His new humble residence was a far cry from the estate he used to call home.

On the same day, Riccardo Prias was initiated on the council. The king had rewarded him the position for his loyalty and aid.

A reward ceremony had also been planned for the many others that had shown exceptional courage during the war. The ceremony would take several days and end in festivities. Vara and Iason were also invited. Iason would be honored for his services to the crown.

Vara sighed as she looked at Lucius. It would be the first time he'd go to Auros again after coming to Boncini. He was dressed befitting a prince, except for the expression on his face.

There was a reluctance there that made her worry. The past month the boy had stayed at Boncini, he had opened up. He was still a little shy, but he talked to the staff on his own accord and helped with simple chores with a smile on his face.

Now he looked miserable.

Vara smiled sadly and kneeled down in front of him. She herself was also dressed for court, in a deep red gown with gold thread. "What's wrong?" she asked the boy quietly.

He looked at her tentatively. "Do I have to go?"

Vara nodded at him seriously. "Yes, we do. The king has sent for us and you are a prince. You need to stand at your father's side and represent the house Aurelios." They had managed to decline from going to the hanging, but they wouldn't get out of this one.

Lucius looked at his feet now. "My father won't care," he muttered.

"That's not true, Lucius," Vara said softly, "your father loves you. He just doesn't know how to show it right now. Don't give up on him, okay? Stand next to him proudly. He'll be himself again soon."

"You don't want to go either," Lucius pointed out as a last resort. He knew enough about his aunt to have figured that out. It was why she didn't visit often and returned to Boncini as soon as formalities allowed. After spending time here, he understood better. His aunt was village born. And even though she had lived at court since early childhood, she felt most at home in the fields or the stables. Court life made her feel suffocated with all its rules and restrictions.

"No," Vara agreed, "but I'm still going. We don't always get to do what we want. Sometimes we have to do what is expected. Let's do it proudly. Remember, we are not doing this for us, but to honor those that risked their lives."

"Uncle Iason will be rewarded too, won't he?" Lucius asked, "what will my grandfather give him?"

"I don't know," Vara answered, "the king didn't say. Perhaps you can think about what you would give the men that will be honored by the king, and why. It is something a prince should learn."

Lucius bit his lip and nodded. He was curious now if he could guess right. "Okay."

"Okay," Vara smiled and she stood up straight. She held out her hand to the boy. "Let's go see if Iason is ready to go."

...

It had taken longer than he had hoped before he'd ben able to return to Tirzé. Arranging wounded soldiers to be send home safely, gathering data on those that had lost their lives, dividing spoils of war, and finally installing a patrol to maintain order in the region. That patrol would be switched out on a regular base, and those that volunteered to take position first would be highly rewarded. Darius understood like no other that everyone wished to return to their families. That was why he offered this kind of compensation. Most of those that stayed behind had no family waiting for them at home, or wanted to bring home riches.