Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie

Vara's sandals slapped against the marble floor as she rushed through the palace halls. It had been mere luck the riders had found them already on their way back to Boncini. Otherwise she wasn't sure she would have made it on time. They had already lost more than a day riding all the way to Boncini only to be informed the lord and lady were visiting friends in Valais.

Vara hurried around the corner and came to a halt when she found the entire family in the hallway.

King Marcos stood at the window with a grave face. Ariane was softly rocking baby Loukios on one arm. Close by, Iolaus was solemnly watching Cyrus who sat on a stone bench with his head in his hands.

When she approached he looked up with tear struck eyes. Recognizing her, he held out his hand.

Vara rushed up to him and locked her arms around him as he buried his head against her stomach, bringing his arms tightly around her waist.

His silent sobs shook her body and she felt her own tears fall as well. Was she already too late?

"Vara," the king acknowledged her.

Vara nodded at him. "My king." She was vaguely aware of Ariane's eyes on her, but at the moment she couldn't be bothered to care.

Cyrus was still holding her in a tight embrace when the door to Caius and Eurydice's room opened. Eurydice stepped onto the hallway. Her eyes were red rimmed and fatigued. Still, she smiled when she saw Vara and she held out her hand. "I am glad you are here, my child. Come. He is asking for you."

Vara blinked her tears away. "He... still lives?" she rasped.

"He's been waiting," king Marcos spoke quietly, "you should hurry."

Vara nodded and released Cyrus, who was reluctant to let her go. He unwound his arms from her waist, but grabbed her wrist to halt her movements.

She looked at him pleadingly. "I will return," she told him quietly while freeing herself from him. With one last saddened look over her shoulder she entered the room.

Ariane watched the entire exchange between Vara and Cyrus quietly and confused. Ever since the news that lord Caius was on his deathbed, Cyrus had been withdrawn and upset. She had tried to comfort him, but he had spurned her, pushing away her every attempt to be there for him, but he hadn't hesitated welcoming Vara's presence. He had clung to her as if she were is lifeline.

And the way she had embraced him so protectively...

Ariane paled and her lip trembled. No. It couldn't be true... but she knew it was true. How could she have been so blind?

But she knew why. She hadn't made the connection because Vara and Cyrus were siblings by name. That was how they were always presented. She hadn't though anything of it, even seeing how close they were.

But they were siblings by name. Not by blood. What she had mistaken for affection between a brother and sister, in reality had been something else.

Darius. Darius had known she realized. And Torcan? Ariane's eyes moved to Iolaus. He was best friends with both Cyrus and Vara. He must have known. And the king... Ariane's eyes flitted to king Marcos at the window. And lady Eurydice? The old woman had joined them to give Vara some privacy with lord Caius.

Yes, she decided. They had all known.

She felt like such a fool.

Her eyes fell on Iason who had just entered the hallway too. He bowed awkwardly at the royal family and glanced at the bedroom door before setting his eyes on Cyrus. Ariane understood that look in his eyes now and she pitied him as she pitied herself. What was it like to know your wife loved the man you served?