Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind

"I agree with you that we shouldn't look for the traitor here," Iolaus told Cyrus, "the men you interrogated are sincere. I truly believe there is no ill intend and their reports truly were intercepted."

Cyrus nodded. "Yes, I believe the same. That does, however, indicate we are looking in the right direction. Lord Vertus didn't mention any reports going astray, did he?"

Iolaus shook his head in thought. "He didn't. What are you thinking?"

Cyrus frowned in thought. "I can't be sure yet. Not until we have at least visited Matís, but it seems our traitor, or traitors, are operational here in this area. We can narrow our circle."

"Back to Cicero then?" Iolaus suggested. They still needed to speak with the young man. Perhaps Chloe had been able to gather some information.

Cyrus nodded. He wanted to get this over with as soon as possible. This manhunt was already taking up too much time. Time he wanted to spend with his loved ones, his family. He feared this war was never going to end.
He would hear what Cicero had to say and then see if Chloe had found out anything of use. After that, it was onto the next potential threat. He'd send the new information he had gathered to his father. Silently he wondered if it would still be necessary to travel further down the coast, all the way to Stregare. There was clear evidence that the traitor came from the northern provinces. After what he had heard from lord Horas, he knew the Horas family would benefit from having more men, but he worried that strengthening their defenses here would leave other areas wide open and vulnerable. He feared they would be playing right into the traitor's hand

These intercepted reports might well be a distraction to turn Zeir's eyes away from the real issue at hand. If they focused too much on strengthening their position here, the traitor might have free play.

Perhaps he should tell his father to send more men to Vertalis instead. Men that couldn't be bought. Men that were loyal to the house of Auros.

But who could they trust?

"Hey," Iolaus placed a hand on Cyrus' shoulder, "don't worry too much. One problem at the time. We gathered information that is useful. Talk to Cicero next. The way to get to him is through games. He'll appreciate the gesture. And you might even enjoy yourself. You need to relax a little, Cyrus. Too much tension is bad for the soul."

Cyrus sighed and rubbed his eyes. "I'm not sure that losing my head in gambling and drunken games is the right move right now. I need to keep my head clear."

Iolaus chuckled. "Don't worry. You handle the game part. I'll do the drinking. He winked.

Cyrus laughed and shook his head amused. 'Why don't we let Cicero do the drinking tonight? See what he reveals?" He hadn't spoken with Cicero in years, though the Horas heir had been at court frequently. He did know however how the man spent his time. If Cyrus hadn't been the crown prince, he might have indulged in the sweet pleasured of life as well. He could hardly fault the man for that.

Iolaus smiled wryly. "You sure know how to spoil the fun." He sighed. "Alright. I'll make a small sacrifice for the greater good. But don't be mistaken, Cyrus. Cicero is no fool. He won't easily be swayed into drunken tales. You'd be better off engaging into honest conversation with him. He's quick witted and sharp tongued. He wants to feel that you take him seriously or he won't tell you anything."

Cyrus gave a nod. "I'll keep it in mind." But be as it may, he did need answers. "Let's hope that whatever he does tell us, will be useful."

...

Darius read and reread the words scribbled on the small scroll. But no matter how often he read the words, there was no mistaken their meaning.

'Truce offer from Balor.