Chapter 27 Trial and error

Vara smiled politely as she walked on Cicero's arm. Iason was trailing not far behind the pair. Now that the king had assigned her a guard, she could fulfil her promise to the Horos heir about spending time with him. For now, they were simply taking a walk in the gardens.

"I'm glad you have found the time to remember your promise," Cicero grinned at her.

Vara answered him in the same manner, playful yet courteous. "If I had known you were so eager to see me, I would have made more haste."

It made him laugh. "I will remember that for the next time."

Vara eyed him amused. "You are very presumptuous. You assume there will be a next time. I only agreed to this one time."

He placed a hand over his chest mockingly. "You caught me, my lady. I was aiming for many times. That is why I spoke to you that first time. To win you over with my charming personality."

"Hm," Vara mused, "you never did tell me why you addressed me." She glanced at him.

Cicero grinned playfully. "Truthfully? It was a dare."

It made her laugh. "Well. I am glad to hear I am so frightening that you need a challenge to speak to me. But I must say, I had pegged you for a braver man."

Cicero's face turned sour. "I would appreciate you didn't bruise my ego any further, my lady. I do have some pride."

"It was not my intention to offend you. If anything, I should be offended to be the object of a bet. What if I may ask, would you suffer had you not addressed me?"

"I would have to suffer the company of Callista's cousin for the day."

"So it was one woman over the other?" Vara raised an eyebrow, "hardly a sacrifice."

Cicero smiled wryly. "You have not met Callista's cousin. If you had, you would see my reasoning."

"Well," Vara answered dryly, "it is good to know that it wasn't my company you were searching, but rather her company you were avoiding."

Cicero chuckled and eyed her amused. "If I didn't know any better, my lady, I would say you are disappointed. I thought this was merely an arrangement, a promise I extracted for winning a bet."

"Is that so?" Vara retorted, "I was under the impression you wished to present yourself. If it is favor you are seeking, mocking me is not in your best interest."

"You wound me, my lady," Cicero said, "I have the best intentions. I thought you rather enjoyed a spar of the tongues." He smirked at the implication of his words.

Vara was about to give him a sharp reply when Iason cleared his throat. "Lady Vara, forgive me for interrupting, but lord Caius is expecting you. I am afraid we must go."

Cicero cast him an amused smile before turning to Vara again. "Your guard seems worried, my lady. Should I fear his sword? Please assure him I am no threat to your virtue."

"It is the king you need to convince," Vara told him, "he is the one that insisted I take a guard before meeting with you."

Cicero's smile turned wry. "I will have to try harder then to come into his good graces." He took Vara's hand and kissed it. "Until then, my lady. Please put in a good word for me with His Majesty." He smiled. "I very much enjoyed your company. I do hope I will get another chance to meet with you."

Vara smiled politely. "We will see. I wish you a good day."

He bowed and walked away.

Vara waited until he was out of hearing before turning to Iason. "Thank you," she said, "if you hadn't spoken up, I would have probably slapped him."